Updated Forum - Oct 2019

Well I just now logged on with the phone to see if I dislike the changes as much here! Earlier I actually navigated to a thread I wanted to read when I was done I hit the back button on the keyboard and I was at a main menu instead of the forum, did it again with the same results. .I have faith that it will get somewhat better. Earlier all the pictures were gone and they got that figured out fast.

Testing 123
What hath God wrought?

Watson, come here. I need you.

Edit: One small step for man…

Note to self - I had to hit Reply to edit my post.

no no no so confusing. I was just congratulated by a bot for signing on. No thanks… Bye.

It seems that the new system was afraid of all the knowledge you bring. I updated your “trust level” so it shouldn’t be a problem.
The actual issue is that it thinks you are new user that also posted a lot in the past so it got confused.

FYI - we just rolled out a change to the forums that should get rid of the spam issue.
@Overstreet - post those links!

Not sure where you clicked but it should be the pencil :pencil2: icon.

The suggested topics should get a lot smarter as we go along.

You can find the latest poster listed here, at the bottom of the original post for each topic:

What other pieces are you having trouble finding?

We trimmed it down to 10 character minimum.

Be sure to update your preferences in your profile. You can update a lot of settings regarding notifications and the default view when you get to the forums.

Hi Brian. I am muddling my way thru the changes, but don’t have any major complaints. Change just is.
One thing I noticed, and I know it is just a matter of finding all the links. Or maybe losing a couple. If I click “Message Boards” under the “Connect” topic that pops up by mousing over “Community” in the top line menu, I get to an odd place that is information about message boards but does not go to the message boards themselves.
If I go further down on the same screen and click on “Message Boards” under “More Links for Community”, I get to the message boards.

I suspect you ultimately want either both of the links saying “Message Boards” going to the same place, or them to be differently named.

@Celia

I think you are referring to this link:

If so, the issue is that the website is cached on your computer. The link has been updated to point to forums.paddling.com but your machine still has the old version of the site loaded on it.

I also fixed something on our end that will push you to the proper page no matter what now.

Can you please return to displaying the dates of the original and most recent post to each topic. That way we can can easily see if this is the correct topic and when it was last updated.

If someone posts how beautiful and functional my kayak is I might hit “LIKE”. If they edit their post and write how ugly and awkward my kayak is I should be able to to just click on my “LIKE” and toggle it back… shouldn’t I?

Enquiring minds…

(This topic is NOT similar to…)

1 Like

@Vic I am still looking through settings to see if I can change what is displayed in the title bar.

You can see the full timeline of any post on the right side in desktop:

In mobile, tap the progress bar at the bottom to show the same data:

@Rex you are correct. You can tap like and then tap it again to un-like it.
It looks like the action could be changed for the first 10 minutes after clicking on like. I just changed that to be 24 hours instead.

There were several comments in different places about tracking new topics.

Be sure to go to your user profile settings as there are a bunch of ways to set defaults about when something is considered new for you.

You can also choose to watch, track, mute any post by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the timeline.

1 Like

Thanks! Works like a charm.

Any particular reason for a post to require at least 20 characters?

The goal on the minimum number of characters is to avoid super-minimal posts that really don’t have any value.
I just changed the settings. The first post for a topic needs to be 20 characters minimum. Any reply post can be as short as 5 now.

Sound good?