Used Pungo 120 hull advice

Thinking of buying used Pungo 120 in great shape but concerned bought slight undulation in bottom of hull. Should I be concerned?

No, it’s plastic. Good boat for less than 200 lb. Ok for 200+ but puts it lower in the water.

I am six foot, 235 lbs. So you think the Pungo 120 might be too low in the water? I sat in it and seemed to have plenty of room but wonder about weight.

Agree with String. But, I would be a bit concern with checking out that slash or hole in the keel line seen at the bottom of the pic… Does it go through?

sing

When I was 240 , younger and stronger, if I paddled hard, the 120 would create a bow wave and resistance would increase.
But that was not my normal paddling. Freeboat was not a problem.
It depends on your planned use. If you are just cruising, go for it. We took it camping loaded with a 100# grandson and gear with no problem.
I paddle a Pungo 140 and it handles any speed I can generate.
I’m 215-220 now and 6’5". In the 120 I felt like a bear on a bicycle.

I agree with others - the undulations are not an issue. Plastic boats get these.

Did you mean this? I admit that I did not notice it while I was there.

Thanks for all the input. I am 235 fully dressed with shoes on. add my 20 lbs dog and it comes to 255. My wife and I paddle together on local ponds and lakes and a little on the Connecticut River. We don’t push it too hard, but should I be looking at a larger kayak? I like the Pungo because it has a large cockpit with lots of leg and knee room.

Yes, you are a 14’ size guy.
Try to find a Pungo 140, no longer made, or a similar 14’ rec kayak.
WS now makes a 125 Pungo but I know nothing about it.
An option is a Sit on Top like a WS Tarpon.

Pungo 125 is 6 inches longer, .5 inches wider, 375 lbs capacity. No

Paddles like a 120.

A slightly overweight 120.

Exactly.

ok, so aside from trying to find a pungo 14, what other second hand options should i be looking for /

I didn’t notice you had 2 threads on a similar topic and posted to the other.

Reading this one and your weight and usage and being in the used market I wouldn’t rule out a canoe. I bought a used Old Town 147 Guide tandem and converted it to a solo. It works great for a larger guy and hauling more additional weight for casual paddling. I also use a double blade kayak paddle and that works well in a canoe except you will need one on the longer side as a canoe is wider.

Do a search on “pack canoe” and you will see some photos.
:canoe:

And canoes are great for dogs

1 Like

I’ll take a little different tack from @string . I agree that the 14 would likely be a better boat, but if this 12’ boat is available now at a good price, it should work for what you plan to do. The specs say a Pungo 120 can carry 325 lbs. Often it is good to not get too close to the capacities listed, but 255 lbs should be fine. So you could buy the boat, and when your conditions allow, use it and see if it works. If it doesn’t, then starting looking for that 14 and you can probably sell this one for what you bought it for.

This is assuming there isn’t a deep gouge or the like that @sing asked about.

And of course, all of the recreational class kayaks are meant for calm waters near to shore. They are hard to flip, but should you flip one, they are hard to get back in to in deep water.

2 Likes

…especially if you secure the boat with over-tightened ratchet straps. Camlock straps are much more gentle.

I agree with this 100%. You should have no problem reselling a Pungo 120 for $350, at least if your area is anything like mine. So you can “rent” it a while and if you don’t like it, re-sell.

That’s a great way to look at nit.