Used Pungo 120 hull advice

I have just found a Pungo 140 for $500. Will go look at it. The only thing I am concerned about is weight. Jerry

2 Likes

I am a physical wreck and handle the 140 with no problem.
Make them a cash offer and let us know what you got.
Yellow is a great color for visibility in low light.

Good insight on the weight. Thanks. They had wanted $700 but will go for $500 cash. if it is in great shape that seems like a good deal.

2 Likes

Again, I’d bet you could easily resell it for that if you bought it and decided it wasn’t right for you. Any popular model kayak you get a good deal on used that’s usually the case. Unless you really beat it up it’ll retain its value. Many folks on here, myself included, have bought and sold a lot of boats, and often not lost any money in the trading up process.

1 Like

Should we expect to see you with it today?

$375-390.

The Pungo 140 I found was $700 but got it down to $500. I have not gotten extra phots and will go look at it and probably buy this week. The only down side seems to be that is has been stored outside, although the cockpit and seat have been protected and look like now. Any thoughts?

Buy it.

1 Like

Year? I have bought numerous CD composite sea kayaks all for 700 to 900. One of the them is a 22’ tandem in great condition. I just sold a 13’ Hobie Quest for 500. It was literally just about new with a shiny bottom.

14’ pungo new is? Year of hull you’re buying?

I see some125 Pungo’s for 1200 brand new.

Just for price comparison.

Maybe good for me and my little doggie. I shouldn’t have looked.

Pandemic prices are crashing for bikes kayaks will suffer the same fate. That will drop used prices also. High end bikes are now seeing 2-3,000 dollar price cuts.

OK, how do I determine their manufacture year of the three Pungos I am looking at? Is there a date stamp on the hull? The big yellow one ($500) is a 140 with rubber hatch covers. The red one ($350) also has rubber hatch covers. The small yellow one is an older model with a screw-in rear hatch cover ($150). It is missing a door rest and seat strap needs replacing. No bulkhead. Bit of a project boat but the hull looks good.

(upload://49zfYZhBqAI4JZmc7ECKzpX6mpR.jpeg)

1 Like

Number on the hull last two digits are year. Year is not the end all. Just saying things devalue yearly. Condition is more important. I have found most things are at about 50% of original cost at 7 years old. When buying you can always up your offer even if you walk away and say let me think a minute in my car.

I always get a bill of sale. I take pictures of house where I bought it with kayak in picture and vehicle license plates.

Bungees will show UV exposure first. They may have been replaced. Look at seats for wear and fading. Bungees are a few dollars to replace. Easy to swap out if you can tie a shoe lace. Also any accessories with the kayak have some value. Check straps and hatch seals and how the hatches fit.

If you buy it for 500 and use it ten times and sell it for 400 it’s 10 bucks a ride not bad. Check keel for wear and if it is thin.

Check toggles and lifting handles for UV exposure.

2 Likes

Love the economics! I know the two yellow ones have been stored outside, but look pretty good. I how do I judge UV damage on a hull? The seats look brand new though. Did Pungo have UF protection molded into their hull material?

The Pungo 140 & 120 are at least ~2010 or older. Wilderness changed the tupperware hatch style around ~2009- 2010 to the current Orvis style. Also the first 3-4 years of the P140 had a front Tupperware hatch, but no foam bulkhead. If buying a P140, make sure it has the bulkhead.

The Pungo Classic is the original Pungo. They should be pre 2000s. The Classics where later sold under other names like Victory Blast or an LL Bean/Bass Pro Shop store brand.

Thanks!

Old manufacturing adage that may apply : There is a time in the life of every project when you have to fire the engineers and get on with it.
Light colors tend to reflect UV .

UV tends to affect hardware more than the hull unless the boat is very old. Deck lines, bungees, hatch covers, etc. All replaceable. In the long term with extreme exposure, a rotomolded hull can become a bit brittle.

To check the hull for UV exposure look for fading under the deck lines or bungees. A little bit is common and not much to worry about.

1 Like

Looks like a great dealat $500. They don’t make the 140 anymore and they’re hard to find in my area

Yes, i think I am going to get the 140. I need to drive an hour and a half to see it. I want to make sure it is not too heavy. Then I may buy one of the two 12 footers for my wife. The classic is cheep but needs work, but just a few replacement parts.

Define too heavy .

1 Like

I am 68, still very strong and outdoorsy, but did not love hefting our two tandem Perception Cove 14.5s onto my Honda Pilot every time we wanted to go kayaking. In fact that’s why we did use them that often. I know the Pungo 120 is a lot lighter but I appreciate the feedback that at 6ft and 235 lbs and with a 20 pound dog, a 140 might be better for me.