Used solo canoe sought

Ad says Royalex – current versions are all made of something else since Royalex has been unavailable since 2013 and the last canoes made of it were in 2015. Canoes, especially solos, are typically not in that high demand in my region, compared to yours. That Lady Bug that I missed in 2019 languished on CL for 5 weeks before selling. Though this year may be different.

1 Like

Looks like a perfect canoe for West Michigan rivers. No problems with jumping logs & sliding over gravel. The one picture in the ad looks like they snipped shots from the web site. The other two look like Royalex.

1 Like

The red canoe in the second and third photos is definitely a Royalex boat, if not a T-formex boat. The canoe in the first photo is a composite, probably a stock photo that the seller cribbed.

Wenonah has been molding some hulls in T-formex but I have never seen any indication they have been offering the Argosy in T-formex nor does their present website indicate that they are doing so.

The Argosy is an OK hull. It seems that people who have paddled one either love it or hate it. I have paddled one on moving water, done some ferries across jets of fast water, etc. It is not my cup of tea but that is just me.

1 Like

Or convert a good small tandem to a solo boat. Just bought an OT Canadienne in kevlar that is 15’7". I took out the tandem seats and added a solo seat and new thwart. Took out the center thwart. It weighs 49 pounds and goes like Hell. I paid $250 for it because it had a crunch in the bow. Repaired with fiberglass cloth and epoxy and painted it looks like a new boat. Wanna race?

1 Like

Thank you for the Ladybug, Scottfree. Very special thanks to Willowleaf, without whom this deal does not happen!

3 Likes

Congratulations tundrawalker, and enjoy your Lady Bug. I bought one from Dave Curtis last year and have been having a blast paddling on a variety of water. It’s especially fun on smaller quick water streams and twisty channels.

Tom

1 Like

Hey! That boat looks familiar! I’m glad you got to use it before winter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what else have you got in your garage? Anyone with a Ladybug must more vintage paddles than they really need. I’m asking for a friend.

1 Like

Now that the Ladybug is gone I’m down to three other solos. I live just a few miles from Ohiopyle and the Youghiogheny River. A Dagger Impulse is my whitewater boat. For the little Class I creeks that run in the spring around here I have a Bell Royalex Wildfire (aka Yellowstone Solo.) I’m also happen to be about a dozen miles from the 16 mile long Youghiogheny River Lake. A month or so ago I found a 28 lb. Sawyer Shockwave for a very good price. The lake was where I previously used the Ladybug, but the Shockwave makes more sense for that—and it’s 28 lbs (as opposed to 38 for the Ladybug.) While I’ll miss the Ladybug, it just doesn’t fill a niche for me any longer and I only have so much space in the garage. As for paddles…I’ve lost count. :grinning:

1 Like

Today I used my composite Yellowstone Solo to try to avoid getting leaves caught on my bow. You’re welcome to pop up to St Joseph any time to paddle (you don’t even have to bring a boat)…the St Joseph river is delightfully low and slow right now and the Paw Paw is perfect (and there are several other good options). Sounds like my suspicion was right in that you have too many paddles. Me too. I might have a couple more solos than you but fortunately they are all unique and essential.

1 Like

I hesitate to correct you but… While I do have a lot of paddles. I do not have “too many paddles.”
:smiley:

1 Like

He"ll be using it during winter, I suspect. We just did a trip in some nice swifts this weekend it handled well. Nice boat.

1 Like

Those can be removed, takes some careful cutting. I remember reading, years ago, from member who did just exactly that. Can’t remember how he did it…had to involve some cement remover though…then adding a layer to strengthen the floor and then simply put in some bars wherever he wanted.

Yeah, I’m a little leery of cutting and modifying a boat built this light. The old egg shell strength theory.
I may eventually just add another boat to the fleet. Something suitable as a freight hauler. I’m always up for another boat.