Using a paddle leash?

@MCImes

I object to the term haters w/r to use of paddle leashes. And I fully understand that they are the norm in some surf situations.

I and some others here have just said that we found them to be of no particular benefit or more of a problem than a solution for our paddling. Labeling that response as haters is needless and unhelpful hyperbole.

1 Like

jeez, I know intent is lost on the internet, but this isnt exactly a heated discussion or followed up with inflammatory remarks. so i stand by my use of the word and advise you to take it in the light hearted spirit in which it is meant. Do whatever works for you, more power to you.

Think chapelleā€™s show ā€˜haters ballā€™, not trollingā€¦

1 Like

@MCImes

Thatā€™s it, intent is often lost. Haters, lacking some qualification, can go the wrong way.

Iā€™m not judgmental. I carry a paddle leash in my snack hatch. Will use it in rowdy conditions or if I take a snack/lunch break on the water. I made it out of velcro, bungee cord, and a plastic clip. All materials I had here at home.

I wonderā€¦ for a spare paddle, would a short canoe-style paddle be a reasonable idea, just to get a person over to their (drifting) dropped kayak paddle? It would be easier to stow than a one-piece kayak paddle (in the ToyBoat, that is)ā€¦ and avoid worry about the leash thingā€¦

@Rookie, can you show how you made it? That sounds perfect for meā€¦ (super-rookie)
thanks!
Beth

@Bekruse
That would not work to replace a broken paddle well. One of the reasons to carry a spare.

Half of a break down paddle can be used to do that, by the way. And then you have both halves if you really needed them.

well thatā€™s trueā€¦ (no handle, though which seems like it might helpā€¦)

Hah! - good point. I know Iā€™ve seen a T-handle designed to fit on the end of one half of a kayak paddle at some point in the distant past - donā€™t remember if it was commercial or DIYā€¦

@Bekruse

Hi Beth, Iā€™ve attached a photo. Itā€™s nothing special; just made from bungee cord (32"), a clip and wide velcro I had on hand. The bungee is threaded through a small plastic tube and the velcro strip hand sewn over it to keep it in place.

A good friend of mine who is a much better paddler than I am occasionally uses a short canoe paddle and is actually a bit faster than me with a Werner Ikelos.

If you enjoy following rivers and creeks to the end of navigation like I do, where it become very narrow with overhanging vegetation, Iā€™ve often wished I had a shot canoe paddle, as a full length kayak paddle can be hard to use there.

Iā€™ve seen those tee handle conversions for a break down kayak paddle. Hereā€™s one ā€“ made for Pelican paddles but might work with others.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-T-Curved-Ergo-Handle-Perfect/dp/B0845GMC5D/ref=asc_df_B0845GMC5D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416787189255&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10886639148887516317&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005933&hvtargid=pla-890196876879&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=90730209301&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416787189255&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10886639148887516317&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005933&hvtargid=pla-890196876879