Walk or Paddle Boston

Nothing like Beantown in spring. Back at the office in person for twice a week. Went for a lunch time stroll. Saw something new at Fort Point Channel next to the Children’s Musuem. – kayak rentals by LL Bean. Was almost tempted…:sunglasses:

Maybe next time.

sing

1 Like

Sing, You have a very timely post about Boston paddling.

A buddy’s son who lives/works in Boston wants to learn to sea kayak. He has very limited flat water experience…i.e. enough to make him dangerous if he were to join you in your surf adventures - I wouldn’t take him into anything other than pure flat water at this point when he is home visiting.

Are there any clubs or ACA instructors that you can recommend for him to contact? Thanks, Hank

I would send him to Paddle Boston: https://paddleboston.com/

The outfit used to be Charles River Canoe & Kayak. They rent kayaks up river in Newton where it’s more buccolic; the middle Charles just upriver of Harvard where the annual “Head of the Charles” sculling championships take place; and finally down by Espanade where the July 4th Half Shell concert takes place. The latter is between MIT and Beacon Hill.

Paddle Boston also offers seakayaking tours and lessons out of Boston and HIngham harbors. Your friend would need to check if the lessons are scheduled at a time that works for his/her schedule.

sing

1 Like

Sing, Thank you. Will pass along your info. Appreciate your assistance. Hank

I flew into Boston for work and could see people walking , I guess in that area. I really wanted to walk with them but didn’t have the chance.

Boston is a great city to explore by foot (or by paddle craft). I think you would have enjoyed it. Driving… Not so much. :scream:

sing

That’s the truth! :joy:

Hank, have your friend’s son check out the North Shore Paddler’s Network at www.nspn.org. They’re the biggest kayak club in the greater Boston area and they typically hold free paddling skills sessions, in addition to lots of coastal trips.

That’s a good lead. I didn’t offer NSPN as I assume that the person as an occaisonal “flatwater” paddler will not have a sea kayak of his/her own. The good thing about Paddle Boston is that it offers a newbie access to different boats in the demo and rental fleet.

sing

bnystrom & sing, thanks ya’ll. Will pass along the additional info.

Boston looks rather different than when I spent time there. 1971 & I lived at the end of Beacon Street and took the MTA downtown to work. Only place I’ve ever seen someone triple park. I was on the above ground section (think street car) coming home from work &, as usual, cars were double parked in front of the shops. I saw someone pull up outside of them, stop, get out & head into one of the stores.

I took a lesson from CRCK back in 2002. They provided good roto sea kayaks for those of us who didn’t bring our own, transportation to the lesson location, and of course, an instructor. I thought they did a good job and would second the recommendation. They also allowed demos of their fleet at the Newton location.

IIRC, back then it was part of Lincoln Guide Service, which also ran a ski touring center. The owner, Mike Farney, also was a cyclist.

Are the kayaks for the Boston Harbor rentals made by Old Town? Just curious, since both LL Bean and Old Town are (or used to be) Maine companies.

And ditto on Boston being a great city to walk. Same for many nearby cities/suburbs.

“The Museum of Fine Art would be improved greatly by ‘Dogs Playing Poker’”, Paris

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s a great place to walk bike and paddle

2 Likes

“I took a lesson from CRCK back in 2002. They provided good roto sea kayaks for those of us who didn’t bring our own, transportation to the lesson location, and of course, an instructor. I thought they did a good job and would second the recommendation. They also allowed demos of their fleet at the Newton location.”

Yeah, likewise had good experience renting and testing kayaks from them early on.

“IIRC, back then it was part of Lincoln Guide Service, which also ran a ski touring center. The owner, Mike Farney, also was a cyclist.”

Thought I read somewhere that Charles River Canoe & Kayak merged with and/or bought out Weston X-Country ski track. Seemed like a good complement to have a winter sport in the mix.

“Are the kayaks for the Boston Harbor rentals made by Old Town? Just curious, since both LL Bean and Old Town are (or used to be) Maine companies.”

In last few years, the Seaport “neighborhood”/area really got built up with expensive condos and shops. Evidently, LL Bean is now down there somewhere. Fort Point Channel is the beginning of the Seaport district. Correct about Old Town. The kayaks on the dock were all OT Manitous.

“And ditto on Boston being a great city to walk. Same for many nearby cities/suburbs.”

Once you get beyond outlying Boston neighborhoods, it’s more conducive to biking if you want to hit more of the spread out shops, cafes and ice cream parlors in the different suburban towns! :icecream: :coffee: :cake: :yum:

sing

Would have been interesting to see how Paris would react to Edgar Allan Poe’s Raven…

sing

1 Like

I have always enjoyed visiting Boston, and have done a lot of walking and sightseeing. Never knew it was easy to rent a boat there. I had an ancestors that lived in Charlestown from very early days tn the 1630s. I found out about one that lived near where the U.S. Constitution is now in the 1700s. Unfortunately he was a Loyalist and got banished to Canada.

After dinner walk along Hingham Harbor.

Beautiful Friday evening. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

sing

2 Likes

Paris in Boston?
Now there’s some confusion.
When “Pareee” becomes “Payee”
and city gets beaned light contusion.

Then “r” you not entertained,
with old dogs lost in yahd,
so the rive gauche of Chaz,
can Havad easier than hahd.

Pre-Fathers’ Day surf session - failed.

This early morning, Boston Buoy was registering 3’ waves @ 9-10 second intervals but with less optimal diagonal onshore wind. Not bad, given that MagicSeaweed was forecasting knee slapping waves. So I headed to the break.

Unfortunately, the winds had picked up to 15-20 knots. Pretty blown out. Not a soul out there. Well, since i was there, figured I give it ago. Spent about 30 minutes with non-stop paddling and bracing to stay in place where the waves seemed to be stacking better. Got two okay rides and called it quits.

Think i’ll go fishing tomorrow, before heading to the Fathers’ Day cookout at my in-laws.

Mahalo!

sing