Want Some Horrible Advice?

Its really no different than reading reviews. I had a specific tire on four family cars, three were on a my kid’s Z24’s and one was a Monte Carlo SS. I also drove beefed up Caprice fleet vehicles that were designed for extreme abuse. The tire performed flawlessly. I had the same tire on a new model Challenger and they were treacherous. I replaced them after 23,000 miles and thought good riddance. The tire that I selected as a replacement is getting twice the life, better gas mileage, better handling and is quieter.

Don’t recommend unless you know the parameters of the question. I can tell you one tire works on these cars, but definitely not on this one. While researching the current tire, I focused on reviews from owners driving the same car as mine. Reviews ran the gamut, claiming they were the best/the worst; the quietest/the noisiest; best tread wear/the worst; best braking, cornering, wet roads, dry roads/and the worst. Its all anonymous, but surely nobody intended to mislead, unless they had an ax to grind with the manufacturer.

Be careful about giving and getting advice. Be specific with questions. I’ve seen questions like what’s the best paddle, what the best kayak, how much should I spend on a paddle . . . Then someone tries to answers it! Or someone says I need a kayak and it has to be less than 12 ft . . . And somebody tell them about a 17 ft boat that’s just what they need . . .

Its hard to imagine a member in good standing would intentionally give bad advice. It can only happen so many times. That doesn’t mean bad advice or inappropriate advice won’t be given. It just means the person asking for the advice needs to read between the lines. If there’s disagreement, we all actually benefit from it. Sometimes we learn things that aren’t event related to the topic. I dont know about anyone else, that’s just icing on the cake to me. The only problem with unrelated information is that it hard to locate the tread if you want to review it again. Oh well, better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all :heart: peace be with all yall, spring is abloomin in many places around the country!

4 Likes

I’m getting rhat deja vu feeling

4 Likes

Don’t be like my wife who took something seriously that was poked at her in fun.

1 Like

Bring a Strainer - It’s a Stew of (Too?) Many Cooks

There’s a Jim somewhere in paradise,
high eye Q-C-C on Cooper.
No other sunshined state or hull will do,
his outlook narrows you on super.

Askew to there high-strung desert son,
Gloria in excessive Polythene Pammie sings.
Loco lico sound beat into ground,
a madness sinks in such grey things.

And there’s drain ditch addlers come consummate paddlers,
own-em-all their longest trip.
Ten miles in hull and they’ll know it all,
paddle over cliff notes their Jane’s Ships.

So come here and swear paddling the rom-com.
Remember free advice often tragically drowns,
those who forget these solutions work with grain of salt,
and all a peeling scatters anger on Coffee’s ground.

1 Like

Soul searching is good.

One of my favorites:

This just in… Fat kids like cake.

1 Like

So do I and I’ve never been fat

1 Like

Here’s some not-horrible advice: Take a break from the screen time, please.

I, too, would rather be paddling in pleasant weather, but sorry to say making snarky online comments really does not substitute for that!

Someday your boat will float on liquid.

1 Like

When I bought my sea kayak last summer, I got excellent advice from the folks on this board - first on the boat, then on the paddle, then on the sprayskirt. I’m thankful to them every time I get out and enjoy that boat.

5 Likes

That was likely because you were pretty specific about your own own experience, your physical attributes (and limitation) and the intended venue.

“Bad advice” generally follows (as stated already above) when there is a lack of specifics or parameters.

The other occaison is often when the questioner is really seeking affirmation of his/her choice and or action already takened.

sing

5 Likes

Its dangerous to ask a question if you have no idea of what the answer should be and you don’t know the person offering the advice.

Regardless of what the person seeking advice learns, he or she must still go out and test it to see if its right.

3 Likes

Yep, the affirmation seeker is the main reason I no longer bother with either reading or offering any commentary on the Advice forum.Too many times, especially in the “Which boat? Batman versus Superman?” department, we never hear back from what the OP’s final decision was. And also in many cases, not so much as a ‘thank you’ to the actual knowledgeable people here who DO have real seat time in the craft being enquired about.

So now I only really visit Paddlers Place from time to time… Because as Al Pacino’s Scarface once said in the movie,
“Don’t waste my Mothereffin’ time!”

(I waste it just fine on my own.)

That’s because of two things:

You spelled out your paddling intentions for the new boat and indicated your skill level and experience, albeit mainly in WW river paddling. You also stated you were willing and EAGER to learn more.

Also, you have been posting on here, credibly, for many years. Those of us who even casually see what you have done BELIEVE what you said when you asked for advice on sea kayaks.

These two things make it easier to help in a meaningful way.

4 Likes

Affirmation-seekers don’t bother me much. There are plenty of contributors who will raise the caution flag when affirmation is being sought for something that doesn’t sound like a good idea. Though we can’t control whether an affirmation-seeking OP is actually open to advice, offering it is still the right thing to do IMO.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter to me. I use the question to look up information to confirm accuracy before giving advice. That way I refresh my own knowledge. Helping another person make me think, and “I like thinking!” Several off line communications have developed between myself and several members. I found that I gain nearly as much as I give, and many times even more. Being reserved with your time can cost very rewarding relationships. Of course if you don’t have time, that’s another matter entirely.

If you offer advice to someone and they ignore it as if you didn’t reply, remember the lack of decency and “fuggetaboutit”. On a few occasions, I spent a few hours researching and consolidating answer only to have the person ignore my posts. Doesn’t matter to me! I figured out the answer, hope they did as well.

1 Like

Gotta love Internet discussion forums at this time of year, they’re all like Red Bull Night down at the local nursing home, with old biddies beating the crap out of each other with their purses and walkers…come on spring!

3 Likes

Seriously?

Thats why I have a hidden key that will only open the door but not work in the ignition.

Bring a C2 racing Cruiser to a canoe race on lake Michigan (Chicago to Evanston Il .Get flipped in a swell and almost drown.Life jackets were in canoe (legal) but not wearing them. A miracle we survived .So whats funny!Bring a C2 flat water Cruiser to a canoe race on Lake Michigan.

Some people start a holiday weekend planning a fun gathering with friends. Then again if that is not an option other things can work.