Waterproof speakers in a Kayak

Ha!
No, in Alaska, when you bring up something silly to your bros, they never tease you and have fun at your expense, do they.

My Fav’s:
5-10 Nemos, or Teva Gammas; Oh - ‘Speakers’ - NEVER MIND

Ok, Ok, obvious troll.
But a serious question. Many people keep saying stuff about only use ear buds, keep the nature quiet for others, don’t bother everyone else, etc, etc. The same people said the same thing about cell phones on a long, ridiculous thread months ago.

Personally, I don’t care for music when I’m paddling, either through head phones or through speakers, and have no provisions for such. But when I paddle, and I’m just outside an urban area, I rarely see anyone else. I could play music for hours on speakers at a good volume and maybe once every other paddle someone else might hear it. Has anyone on here EVER heard someone else’s music or even a cell phone ring? For me, in two years paddling, not once. Just wondering why people get so pissy about something that seems a non-problem.

Then ya obviously
haven’t paddled on the lower Columbia or Willamette Rivers in the summer. Folks hanging on, off, out, in and on top, of thousands of ski, wakeboard, sail and rec boats. At least half with blaring radios that you can hear from 4 miles away, longer if they’ve been drinking since drunk people can’t hear. Can’t forget the boats parked on the river bank. Same as above, only they aren’t movin’.

Lake Washington
ugh!

Training on Bouler Res.
I never liked it when I was paddling for exercise on Bouler Reservoir and the water skiing boats would be blaring hip-hop music. OK, maybe if they had chosen some better tunes, say The Del McCoury Band, I wouldn’t have minded it so much.

Well, I give powerboaters a pass
for being stupid by definition. ;~) j/k

Where I river paddle, I see maybe 1 or 2 bass boats in a day. Max I’ve ever seen was on 4th of July and I think it peaked at 4 on the same day. None of them had music, but that’s because they were fishing. Doesn’t go together well. I’ve seen one jetski (same guy) maybe three times ever. The river’s too shallow and narrow for speedboats. There are a couple of pontoon boats parked on one spot on the river, and I’ve never seen them undocked.

I was really talking more about paddlers. You sparked my memory and I have to admit, I have seen one canoe with a boombox two summers ago. But in sweet justice, it was a rental Grumman, with obvious drunken partiers, and they dumped at one point. The music went dead on impact w/ the water, and I think they were having too much fun to care. It was worth any distraction for the entertainment value. ;~)

It won’t be nice for everyone else
Most people paddle to get away from “modern life”. No one wants to hear your music blasting from your kayak, so keep it to yourself. Besides, as others have indicated, putting speakers in your boat is silly and impractical.

Music

– Last Updated: Mar-14-08 9:52 AM EST –

I can understand the occasional need for a little music while out on the water. I frequently paddle off shore and it can get a bit tedious at times. I have a small digital handheld radio that i keep in a dry bag for such occasions. Sometimes i use it during a long paddle to put a little rythm in my stroke. Just as i do on a treadmill however, i personally would never use headphones or play music loud enough to block out my hearing. Its a safety issue. Secondly,I admire your creativeness, but not at anothers expense. You surely would piss off ALOT of people playing music aloud on the water. Like i said, i only use it in the ocean where no one else can hear it.

you’ve got to be
a troll—anybody else would simply buy an I-Pod with a waterproof case----lot less trouble, you don’t bother every body else and don’t have to worry about the space/expense.

WOW!
I REALLY had NO idea this would illicit such negativity from folks…

No I am not trolling… I really am for real. And the more you Google search the topic of waterproof speakers you find that either they are Marine speakers for a boat or they are some cheesy cheap piece of junk. It is actually really hard to find something compact and truly waterproof… BTW I am talking speakers here… The waterproof ipod…. Check got it…

Paddle pirate… You are actually the one who has NO idea what you are talking about… Some of you folks have been around people WAY too much. As to ear buds… Not necessary there will be a group of 5 of us and we all want to be able to listen some tunes or books on tape or whatever. You can only play 20 questions for so long… (Especially when people are actually getting things like “Ronald Reagan’s Ball sack” in 20 questions)

As to OTHER people who are out there enjoying the out-of-doors… Paddle pirate… This why I know your full of it… There ARE NO, NONE, ZIP, ZERO other people / paddlers. I go on two week paddles and see MAYBE, just MAYBE see one other group. You are in fact the one who has no idea of the Alaskan spirit or ANYTHING about its waters! 50 deg! YEAH outside… The water is far colder. Heck! we go swimming when we find 50 deg water!

PS kschultz… May want to do your research, there are no grizzlies in PWS… None the less we pack a 44 mag the most powerful handgun in the world per Mr. Eastwood.

As to the weight and bulk of something like this, I don’t use a tent… or a stove… or carry a big SLR camera, or fish, or take binocs What the HECK do you people really care if i want to take a stereo. BTW I did say stereo… NOT radio.

Also hit up my other post in the trips section people… I am not looking for your paddling guidance here… I wouldn’t be paddling 3000 miles if I need to know or what kind of boat to get… I am more interested in tips you may have about the currents between AK and Seattle or speaking with someone who has done this trip… And might have thoughts on the Yakutat section which will surely be the most difficult. Or you can keep on keeping on in Lake Washington…

Not For Me
I personally don’t like music when I paddle or hike/camp. It’s fine for anyone else if they can make it so they can only hear the music.

-Capri

next question:
can anyone recommend a 3’ dia. satellite dish that is also waterproof?

And comes with a kayak mount?

How About a Blender?
http://www.royak.com/boat-blender.shtml

Actually somewhere on that site is a kayak with a setreo system

I’ve got a long trip coming up…
and I’ve considered listening to something while I paddle. I use to listen to audio books while driving the same road everyday…

Ah, Young Trident Loop

– Last Updated: Mar-14-08 3:40 PM EST –

Or Pickle Fork as we'll call you...
"As to OTHER people who are out there enjoying the out-of-doors… Paddle pirate.. This why I know your full of it.. There ARE NO, NONE, ZIP, ZERO other people / paddlers. I go on two week paddles and see MAYBE, just MAYBE see one other group"

If you're talking about paddling right now, well, no wonder you don't see anyone else out there...because it's still winter and folks who actually live in Alaska and are -real- and have only one nom de plume on P.net would not be out there. Well, 'cept for Tom Pogson and crew. He owns Alaska Kayak School and pretty much does anything anytime. He's usually pretty funny when ya watch him do it, too.

Take a peeksy at this Whittier Cam site:
http://whittierforum.yukontel.com/whittier_cam.htm
Looks a little cold, eh?

"PS kschultz.. May want to do your research, there are no grizzlies in PWS.. None the less we pack a 44 mag the most powerful handgun in the world per Mr. Eastwood."

The .44 vs a .454 Casull? I'm picturing a scruffy fat guy with an orange thong and a poofy pink dyed poodle under his arm singing kareokae at the Pipeline Bar in Valdez. Guess which weapon the fat guy has?

We'll, "Pickle Fork" or in the CG "M" Weenie world they'd argue that it's a shrimp fork but I digress, you're sorta right. They aren't normally called grizzlies, but coastal brown bears or brownies, for short. They tend to be bigger that their inland cousins, the grizzlies, because of the abundance of rich fatty foods such as salmon that they are exposed to. There are lots of brownies and lots of blackies in PWS. They are everywhere. Heck, I'd get up from bed in the morning and see at least 3 of them on the hill above my apartment in Valdez. Bears are on islands, inlets, in coves and in towns. Very mean, large bears are on Montague and Hinchinbrook Islands.

As far as the .44. Ain't good for much other than shooting someone else in your party to slow them down so the bear will catch up to them first. ;)

For tides and currents, I'd suggest you check out the NOAA weather buoys that are located up and down the Alaska and Canadian coasts. You can find their info online.

I think there outta be a law limiting everyone to just 2 online nom de plumes per site. It's getting hard to keep track of you freaks.

And Yakutat, VERY, VERY LARGE bears. Good surf, though.

Whatever adventure you find yourself on Young Trident, make sure ya strap on your pickle, ur uhm, shrimp fork before you go. It's got magical powers.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/insignia/insignia.jpg

Just some good natured ribbin'. ;)

Go PP !!
Yeah, I’m with you…

1. Yes, THERE ARE grizzlies in PWS.
  2. You don’t take a stove…so you’re telling us that you make fires everywhere you go…great leave no trace camping dude…NOT.
  3. You don’t take a tent…let the storms take you away…Darwin award at it’s finest.

4.WHAT ?? You are wanting TIPS about Ak to Seattle? Have you taken a coastal navigation course? Do you know anything about the Inside Passage? You are wanting to cross the Gulf of Ak in a kayak? You have been nominated for so many Darwin awards now, you are bound to win one.

3000 is a lot of miles
Where are you starting/ending? What is your boat of choice?

What does your music library look like?

Good luck.

Music on the water
Since the initial topic was in regards to music etc. I would like to read about the other types of music devices that you guys use out on the water.Im using a small grundig radio from brookstone. It fits perfectly in a small drybag however,it has SW/AM/FM making the dial overly sensitive. As i stated in a earlier post i only use my radio when paddling offshore. Cant bother anyone out there.

Thanks!
Starting in Anchorage… Or Seattle… Anchorage being the obvious preferred choice…

This was relating to my question of currents… I hear the Alaska current spins counterclockwise. Really this current is only a concern between Cordova, and Gustavus.

I also wonder what effect it would have on a kayak. Just unknowns… I leave May 1st 2009. So it is not like don’t have time to figure it out… Just thought a paddling forum would have lots of good insight on the matter, or whatever else i wanted to discuss.

As opposed to a bunch of banter, as witty as it may be, on “why i will die, because i want some speakers in my kayak”

Paddling a NW kayak Seascape 3.