Waterproof speakers in a Kayak

Thanks Paddle Pirate
By the way you ROCK PP!

I knew there were bears up there…and big hungry nasty ones. Didn’t realize they was a different name for them from the inland grizzlies.

Oh and someone please tell me that somewhere in Alaska someone is passing legislation to stop this kind of a MORON from being able to own a hand cannon. And as PP said…a .44 magnum likely won’t stop one of them bears if you piss them off, at least not before they’ve injured you beyond repair.

And the Darwin Award goes to…

also consider
neon lights for the deck, some DUBS, a spoiler. Excelleeeent!!

PP likes the beer!
My kinda girl… Just checked out your little profile.

AK does have a fine beer selection, lets hope we can agree on that! Midnight sun is coming out with Planet beer series soon, very excited!

I also like my insignia! I may, in fact, sport it. Though a tridentloop is an obscure climbing knot, highly recommend it, if you can take advice from someone as crazy as me!

My methods are not orthodox by any stretch, but if you spent the time you would be hard pressed to find a guy out having more fun… AND yes… even in winter, the water calls… It is just colder when it does!

BTW what is a “nom de plume?”

Orange thong… no… Cotton pjs are my clothing of choice, on the water and off… Fabric of our lives that stuff…

You clearly have been to AK… knowing your brownies…

sound polution on the waterways?
Installing speakers so that everyone can hear your music is the last thing we need. Please stick with ipod of mp3 but not speakers. That would be such an invasion of a persons quiet space that most people look for when they go kayaking.

Speaker System in Kayak
I just got done installing a custom setup in my 10’ Perception Manatee. I bought a AAA powered cheesy 10 dollar portable mp3 stereo. I removed my 2 rodholders located behind the cockpit, traced bolt holes on used CD’s and drilled out the center of the CDs to fit the 2inch rubber/plastic speakers. I then hot glued the inner rim of the CD, dropped the speaker on the hot glue, then hot glued the rim of the speaker.

I spliced in long speaker wire and ran it to the control switch located just next to my seat, this has taken NO usuable space away from me.

I understand all the angry hippies, but I always go kayaking with my girlfriend and chatting with headphones on is just not gonna cut it.

My 2inch little speakers will definetly be drowned out by many boat stereos, and open big block exhaust, so i wont be offending anyone out here.

a non problem
that’s exactly what this entire post is.Do you stay home,knowing there may be loud jet-ski’s out there. Or there may be a waterfront home,having a loud party? Every ski boat I’ve seen has a stereo system,and usually blaring. Why should we have to be silent as we paddle? The popping of my beer tops goes great with the boombox strapped to my deck. And the cooler is ALWAYS holding plenty of ice cold Budweisers. Get out there,and have some fun damn it,and make some noise! See y’all on the water,you’ll hear me coming,OOKERB

When Wii comes out with kayak game
You won’t have to bother with that nasty outdoors stuff at all, and can stay in, paddle, and blast music from your stereo.

Noise Pollution
It’s bad enough I have to put up with river pollution but NOISE POLLUTION has no place on the water. Use headphones to enjoy the music the majority of us paddlers don’t want to hear and larn some hand signals to communicate with your lady friend.

Seems like…
the two arguments FOR having your own stereo system while paddling are “everybody else is doing it even louder”, or “nobody else is around so there’s nobody else to bother”. I think that both have some validity in certain waters. If you’re on a lake with a bunch of powerboaters, or on some of the Ozark rivers on weekends with their flotillas of drunken partiers in all kinds of rented paddlecraft, you aren’t adding much to the general din. And if you truly are in totally unpopulated and untraveled wilderness, there probably won’t be anybody else to bother. Everything in between, however, playing loud music on the water is rude in the extreme.

Speaker system
If im in waters that are uninhabited i never listen to music because its so much fun to listen for critters on the shore and jumping fish.

on the fox river,it’s loud and the only wildlife are territorial canadian geese, couple of mallards, catfish and sheephead, along with plenty of loud powerboats. Add a few others and we can all paddle listen to skynard, and talk to each other without putting headphones on and off.

Now, back to the topic.

I decided to keep my budget to a bare minimum.

I spent 10 bucks on a cheap mp3 speaker unit. I pulled the speakers from the plastic boxes. Sprayed em both sides with scotch guard, sealed everything up to mounts where my rod holders went with hot glue and caulk, splashed em with water a few times. Theyre pretty resistant.

I didnt have to install a car battery, nor, an amplifier And i eliminated 2 rod holders (still have 1 in front) so i can reach behind my seat.

The switch/volume/AAA battery mount is glued to the inner left side of my boat, as high as possible to eliminate splashes.

If i fall out or roll the kayak over with the system on, im pretty sure the control box would be done. but for 10 bucks its not a big deal, i have a spare lyin around

i must say the acoustics are much much better than the way the system came. Havent had it out on the water yet so i cant comment on the reliability.

I reviewed this system
Here’s a review I wrote for a waterproof ipod speaker system. I was very impressed with the quality of the unit.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/lifestyle-desktop-and-portable/ego-waterproof-sound-case-for-ipods

I saw the new version this year at CES in Las Vegas and will get a review out on it soon

Tony

GOOD LORD PEOPLE!!!
I don’t live in CA, or WA, or any populated state…

This is Alaska.

THERE ARE NO PEOPLE TO OFFEND… NONE! ZERO!!! and anyone who says otherwise has not been here or has not paddled more than 16 miles from any town out here.

So take your holier-than-thou attitude and save it for someone who MIGHT be offending someone!

I don’t believe what a big deal this is to you all… Your never going to have to hear it… As to “hearing nature” I will get plenty of that as well…

You all have input as the day is long for paddle selection, and which drysuit to get, or which boat is fastest… All personal preference any way… But SO help me if anyone throws a curve ball at you. You get all flustered.

YES for god sake i would have the courtesy to use an ipod & ear buds if there were people around. YES i do like to commune with nature… But i also like books on tape and some tunes…

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I guess we’re more civilized

– Last Updated: Mar-28-08 5:09 PM EST –

only kidding... :-)

Personally I like to hear nature even if it is the silence out it.

I can listen to music anytime but my on the water time is special to me.

What most are saying is that if someone would hear you an and was offended you wouldn't know it. Like many I quite often see fisherman, people along the river and paddlers. You weren't very specific inthe original post.

Paddlin' on
Richard

Subwoofer

– Last Updated: Mar-28-08 9:26 PM EST –

The kayak's hull should make for great acoustics for your subwoofer.

I get what you’re doin’…
Not my cup o’ tea, but here are a few I found.

http://www.amazon.com/25906058-Waterproof-Sound-Case-Speakers/dp/B000LO5ZGY

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCPUEA/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LO5ZGY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B12FEQ42TT2A2HCQ7JC

http://www.motosport.com/harley/product/JM-HANDLEBAR-MOUNT-SPEAKERS/?prodId=784411&sMMY=&cat0=HARLEY

Hope this helps,

-MEAT

one more
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/319141305.htm

Good one…
You guys crack me up. Banjo!

Keep the tunes in your head!
This is what I did. I enjoy a little ACDC, Linkin Park, or anything fast when i’m in whitewater, so I took a NetMD plugged in a Belkin Wireless transmitter, created a drybox inside my Dagger-Vengence, and equipped my helmet with a cheap fm headset(waterproofingis very simple). now anyone who chooses to listen needs only be in a proximity of my boat.

redfish18 nice work
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/lifestyle-desktop-and-portable/ego-waterproof-sound-case-for-ipods

Ended up getting this! And it works GREAT! I question how it will standup to months of use but it worked fine this year on the trip from Seward to homer.

fyi. you can only hear it about 50ft away. really perfect.

use an ego system
there are systems made for ipods that are shock and waterproof… normally they run around $100… well worth it… my friends and i will often go downriver with the our little player hooked up and listen, talk, fish and chill… never had any problems… in fact the opposite…weve had lots of people come on over and join us and chill out listening to some tunes before moving on… the music loud enough for us… but if you are much more than 20 feet away you cant hear it over the sound of paddling let alone fast running water… as far as annoying other people go… we stay away from other people… if they want to get close enough they can listen they can always come and enjoy… if our music annoys them… they can paddle thirty feet away and leave us the hell alone…