weighty gear???

-- Last Updated: Jun-14-07 2:54 PM EST --

Ok, just for fun, and info., after packing all my gear for my upcoming first OVERNIGHT trip, I decided to weigh it just to see how much I was carrying. I have a Wenonah Vagabond. Here's what I've got. This includes EVERYTHING that will go into the boat.
2) 9lb drybags 8"x18"(camping gear)
1)5.5lb. drybag 7x14(emergency bag/repair kit/first aid)
1)3.5lb drybag 5x9(misc, ok with one slightly heavy book)
14 addt'l lbs including pfd, very light camp chair, two paddles, paddle shoes, thwart bag with day stuff, camera, thermarest pad, that won't fit in drybag.
Me, 145 (ouch, gee I think I have my weight loss incentive, weighed 120 back in my pre 50's)
Add 1gal water @8lbs. and that brings the grand total to approx. 190 (yes starting the diet today, I still have a week before the trip ;-)
I swear, everything I have every bought has been with a mind to light weight. Pocket Rocket stove, lightweight REI halfdome tent, etc... It is amazing how much it all adds up to. I am planning to go thru the bags again just to make sure I don't have any duplications anywhere, but don't think so. I am going out in the am to do a trial run.
Is this out of line?? Any suggestions?

my suggestion

– Last Updated: Jun-14-07 1:33 PM EST –

1. Can you fit it?
2. Is the weight below your kayak capacity?

If you passed these two the only question is how your boat will handle. Have you tried paddling it loaded as described?

Here's an exercise you can do:

Separate out the paddling gear - paddle, float, PFD, etc.

What is the remaining weight of your gear? A light traveling backpacker can do 30 pounds, I personally usually carry 40 or so on a weeklong trip. So that will give you a frame of reference but kayakers typically travel much heavier so if you can answer 1 and 2 'yes', and you can pack and paddle it loaded then you may be good to go.

55# seems a bit much for an overnighter but why not try it and look at it as an evaluation?

water???
why are you taking 16 lbs of water // hell id wet the bed

that’s 2 gallons
Figure 2 days.

You’ll drink 1/2 gallon/day, more or less (if my math is right). So one gallon left for cooking? Or for others to use? Need more info but it could be a bit much. But OTOH 8# is nothing to fret over.

I find not much difference between
an overnighter and 3-4 nights worth of gear. Occasionally go without, but the basic core of an overnighter doesn’t change (sleeping bag, pad, tent, stove, etc). Food and water are the major differences. Excluding water, probably not much weight difference if you said you were going out for 5 days.

Water
For cooking water, just bring your river/lake water to a boil and let it boil for a couple minutes to purify. For drinking water, nothing beats a nice lightweight water filter (or leftover boiled water). Most filters weigh around 16ozs. I would never carry in that much water.

That’s 16 lbs. we just saved ya!

weighty gear??
Thanks guys,

Was thinking 1 gal per day, guess I remembered that wrong. It’s a solo canoe and it will fit. Heard someone else post that in the same boat"lightly loaded with 155# person and 35#dog", but will check on weight limits.

I travel light…
Compared to my buddys…

for three days…

Fishing gear, camera, tent, cooking gear, chair, clothes (for cold and wet), food, water and spirits for four days, radios, batteries and ammunition. All come up to 75 to 80lbs. above the normal kayak gear. So you should be fine… darn water is heavy but the load gets lighter…

Vagabond/weight limit

– Last Updated: Jun-14-07 3:00 PM EST –

At 194 pounds total weight, you are not even coming close to the weight limit for a Wenonah
Vagabond.

I've owned/paddled the Vagabond (my wife still has hers), and I am 6 pounds heavier than your total weight, before I've put a single pound of gear into the canoe.
I wouldn't think twice about paddling a Vagabond with 70 pounds of gear, plus my 200 pounds.

I agree with the poster who stated that they carry a lot of the same gear on an overnight that they carry on a 3 or 4 day trip. About the only difference for me between gear for an overnight and gear for 7 days would be more food & water for the longer trip.

Water/food weight disappears quickly as time passes.
PUR filters are great for extended trips, but
I'm not concerned enough with "traveling light" to take a PUR filter on an overnight trip.

I travel heavy; I have done the travel light routine, and don't miss it at all.

BOB

unless
You’re traveling on the sea, with no rivers or inland lakes at your destination.

If you are really serious
Try Bryan Hansel’s website: www.nesmuking.com

While he is packing for the Boundary Waters and traveling in a canoe most of the suggestions are valid for touring kayaking as well.

He has pared his kit down to an amazingly low weight. I believe he is using freeze-died water as well.

Jim

If it makes you feel better
Your total weight is less than me sans gear, clothes, boat, etc.

:slight_smile:

Downside of being on the larger side of things. My boat has a great strong motor, but it needs it to push my 225 through the water

1 gal water per day minimum
The 1 gal water per day is a standard recommendation. If your trip is in a location where the river/lake water is clean enough (free of pesticides, heavy metals, etc.) to filter you could get by with less. In hot summer weather I use more than 1 gal per day. In spite of being surrounded by water, it is easy to get dehydrated paddling in the summer.

Similar in weight to what I carried to
solo canoe the Slickrock Canyon on the Dolores, except that I had to take 32 pounds of water because there was no treatable water source due to desert conditions and salinity of the river itself. Don’t be hard on yourself… the others have given some useful suggestions.

Maybe you’ll be lucky and kill some tourists.

This is true.
I was assuming he would be paddling fresh water.

ah you’re probably right
Looking at the profile you are probably right.

In which case a filter is an excellent idea. I always feel for those who have to paddle trips on salt water.

weighty gear???
Ok everyone, been working it over and have managed to delete a little duplication and shaved it down to 30lb gear in 2 drybags instead of 4, plus water, plus me. And yes the very heavy book will not be on the water but will have it night before and after on shore. Thanks for the info on the weight issue of the vagabond,thebob, good to know. It’s a new boat and this is my first time out on an overnight, should be a learning experience. I also agree that not much difference in overnight and multi-night. Have a little freeze-dried, and a couple zatarain’s cajun meals in a bag;weigh about 6 oz.ea. Are there any best choice freeze-dried meals out there? Are there actually any waters in the lower 48 that can safely be filtered???, in the eastern part of the country??? Thanks again everyone.

Yup
Not sure where your trip is, but I’m going on a 4-day paddle with some buddies this weekend in the Adirondacks of upstate NY and that water is safe to drink if filtered and/or boiled.

yes
You would be surprised. Get a good filter/purifier and a collapsible bucket. Fill the bucket when you land and let the sediment drop to the bottom as you unpack camp and set up. Then, drop the filter draw tube in the collapsible bucket and away you go.

Check out www.campmor.com if you want to find a filter that meets your needs, from filter all the way to EPA certified water purifier.

Oh - I would take the book.

Have fun!

Don’t feel for us----
Your water always tastes a bit funny to me----needs salt.