Wetsuit...how thick?

@VACaver said:
As much as I’d like to have a drysuit, they are way beyond what I can afford. So I’ve decided a wetsuit will have to do for Fall paddling.

My question: What thickness should I get?

Thanks.

Dry suits vary a lot in price. I got mine for a real good price. I was the Fourth customer ever with Mythic Gear dry suits. The prices have gone up some, but they are still quite affordable. You won’t get all the bells and whistles of a four figure suit, however.

did some black friday shopping with outdoor play- ordered two semi dry suits for less than 800 bucks (379 a piece). My mythic suit gets the least use- is very baggy on me but it is functional, just tuck the extra fabric in the sprayskirt tunnel. That gives me 5 dry/semi dry suits- two of which need work- blown zipper, gasket repair. Also have a blownout dry top, a couple pairs of farmer john wetsuits that are getting a bit compressed, drysuit pants and pair of neoprene pants. Oddly enough the suit that gets the most use is the cheapest- bought on clearance before palm went out of business, $200 semi dry suit- starting to delaminate a bit, has a small piece missing out of one of the hand gaskets, and you have to have someone help you zip it- applying upward tension on the zipper so it doesn’t separate- wouldn’t trust it for a long immersion but for my near to bank river forays, during the shoulder seasons, it works well. Have a kokatat drysuit for the true winter paddling- but those trips are infrequent. Add some pogies and booties and all of it beats “the good old days”- farmer john wetsuit, with wool sweater wedged between multiple paddling jackets, playtex gloves, wool socks and tennis shoes- brrrrrrrr, all I can say about it is that somehow I survived that era. Much more enjoyable now and a lot safer with the right gear/wardrobe.

@sing , I know this is an ooolllldddd thread, but how is mobility in a wetsuit that thick?

Doesn’t inhibit me from doing what I like to do, which is usually 2-3 hours of continuous paddle surfing in the winter months:

I find the newer neoprene is quite flexible and comfortable. You do have to select the right thickness for your water temps and your personal tolerance for cold.

sing

I like wetsuits. We used them for wake boarding starting in April and for rafting in the spring snowmelt.
By the time you get to 5mm they are heavy and bulky for trying to paddle or row.
4mm is a good compromise for most conditions including 42-47 degrees F. In those temperatures is important to have a full suit, booties and a head covering.

Water temperatures? Air temperatures?

That would be for water temperature.