what is your favorite, everyday kayak paddle?

The Stingray looks good but, now I’m curious about Greenland paddles.

Check out Craigslist & eBay. I was able to get a Werner Shuna for my spouse for $150, and I’ve seen good carbon paddles in the $200-$250 Range. I’m inexperienced with different paddles and imagine I’ll be flipping a few until I figure out which one works best.

Greenland divided between commercially made CF Novorca and one of my home carved cedar. Former has shoulders and oval loom, while mine not and with squared loom. Similar length and blade profiles. Carbon unit bounces off oyster shells better but lacks the wood’s warmth.

This post is getting to be a list of paddle makers who are no longer in business. Lumpy, Onno, Novorca, etc.

Thanks Overstreet. Good to know…

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/kayak-paddles/greenland-paddle-shearwater.html

Okay, I know I sound like a broken record on this, but for the money, you just aren’t likely to find a better Euro-paddle than the Carlisle Expedition. At the very least, you should look at one before settling on something else in that price range. I just saw an ad for them at $108. It pays to shop around on the Internet. I just checked; Carlisle’s suggested price is $199, but don’t let that discourage you. Walmart has them listed for $110–$143, but you probably won’t find them in the store. They should be available for delivery to your local store.

For some reason the same paddle in it’s fishing version is usually cheaper, but the only difference is color. Personally I would pay a higher price for the yellow (golden) paddle, rather than the ugly green fishing version.

The Carlisle Expedition is all fiberglass–not the lightest paddle around, but light enough and tough as they come. The ferrule is a simple pushbutton with flat and 60 degree right and left feather.

I have a different favorite paddle depending on which boat I am using and the Carlisle Expedition is my favorite for a couple of my boats.

There are folks on Ebay and Etsy who sell hand made wooden Greenland paddles. Not everyone who tries them likes them, but I suspect more that try them DO end up preferring them than not. It depends on the individual. A Greenland paddle puts less stress on your shoulders, wrists and elbows and can make learning to roll easier. You use a higher cadence (more rapid stroke) and usually a higher angle. They can propel you just as quickly once you get going as a standard paddle blade and don’t catch the wind on the upper blade as much. The paddle ends are narrow but they are longer than a standard blade. Can be less fatiguing for long days. Not as good for quick turns in narrow rivers or rocky coastal areas with obstacles, or if you like to sprint at high burst speeds. But for moderate touring speed on most waters they are very pleasant to use.

There are lots of instructions on line for making your own GP from a cedar 2" x 4" or laminated narrower stock. Also sites that describe how to size them to fit your body metrics and the width and depth of your boat (though an advantage of a wooden paddle is that you can shorten it if it is too long.)

Hard to find a place to try one out in most areas though – if you spot somebody using one I have found most GP owners are agreeable to letting other paddlers test theirs. I’ve converted a few people to GP’s over the years by loaning them out. Though sometimes it can be hard to get the borrower to trade back once they find out how nice the GP is to use.

Hey willowleaf, Regarding the GP and cadence: The rule is the same for GPs as euros; the more surface area that’s in the water the slower your cadence will be. I routinely carry two GPs with different dimensions and the cadences are different. Think high and low gear for downwind or upwind.

The cadence is also a question of paddling style. If I use my greenland paddle as a wing paddle - which it actually does quite well - my cadence is just as low as it would be with a europaddle, and my speed is the same.

Its best to test before you buy… I love my AT XL tour but its 10 years old no longer made and just a wee bit too big a diameter for my hand.

My fav continues to be my Wind Swift… egads I have had this thing for over 20 years. Nothing fancy

YIKES I better not bust it!

It was not $249!

http://www.trailexpeditions.com/eddyline-wind-swift-kayak-paddle.html

@kayamedic said:
Its best to test before you buy… I love my AT XL tour but its 10 years old no longer made and just a wee bit too big a diameter for my hand.

My fav continues to be my Wind Swift… egads I have had this thing for over 20 years. Nothing fancy

YIKES I better not bust it!

It was not $249!

http://www.trailexpeditions.com/eddyline-wind-swift-kayak-paddle.html

My Wind Swift is my shoulder’s favorite.

Bought my Werner CF ikelos on eBay 150 had few light scratches. New over 400. I bought a few new in different lengths.

I’d love to try a GP sometime. I’d make one but, I have too many projects in my pipeline.
I have a half-done cedar strip kayak underway. :slight_smile:

I half built a cedar strip canoe once.

Werner Shuna 200 cm. I keep its lighter-weight near-twin, the Cyprus, for longer distances or trips, on which the Shuna then becomes the spare paddle.

Both cost more than $150. You might be able to buy a decent used one for that price.

The most popular links to building Greenland paddles are on the Qajaq USA website at http://www.qajaqusa.org/Equipment/paddles.html#tabs-2. If you have other good links, please let me know.

The Chuck Holst plans are the most popular.

Greg

Before choosing a favorite paddle, one should choose a favorite type of paddle: wing, high angle touring, low angle touring, GP, white water.

Favorite paddles are as individual as the paddlers.

I really like my Aqua-Bound carbon Swell (220 cm). It’s super light and has a long, narrowish blade. Nice for low-angle paddling, touring. Unfortunately, Aqua-Bound no longer makes it and other than the Greenland paddle, there’s nothing out there quite like it. Not as far as I know.

There is a guy who makes and sells laminated wood GP’s on Etsy for $130. He lists several types:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/575122391/shouldered-wood-greenland-kayak-paddle?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=greenland%20paddle&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1