what is your favorite, everyday kayak paddle?

The thing we discovered at the club meeting when we brought in our paddles for show and tell was that paddle selection was a very personal thing. Everybody had a different favorite.

@willowleaf said:
There is a guy who makes and sells laminated wood GP’s on Etsy for $130. He lists several types:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/575122391/shouldered-wood-greenland-kayak-paddle?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=greenland%20paddle&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1

I ordered one of these very paddles after someone on this forum linked it; I’m not a woodworker nor do I have the time/space to learn to carve my own, so I thought it’d be a good way to try a GP without biting too big a bullet. I think they’re well-made paddles and I’ve enjoyed playing with mine. I will say that switching to a greenland stick – at least for this long-time Euroblade paddler – required way more research and experimentation than I was expecting, and a lot of reading/gleaning from tutorials, youtube videos, etc. As a result the first few paddles were pretty painful on my hands/wrists and would’ve been deeply discouraging were I not committed to figuring it out. (I’m still learning, and enjoying the growth.) I mention this recent experience here because it seems the OP would be making a similar transition.

The paatit (greenland paddle) of course. I had the Holst Manifesto (see Greg’s post) out this summer and the same time I was boat building. Too much multitasking and table saw cleverness, I ruined a couple good boards.

Hmm. Unlike AlwaysWet’s experience, mine with my first GP was completely without any research on technique and using it simply came quite naturally from the first time out. Somehow it just suited me and felt right and I have almost never used a standard blade paddle since then, 10 years ago. So no telling what you might find if you try one – again, a highly individual experience.

Carbon bent shaft Werner Kalista. Tried wings and GPs.
I really wanted the GP to work but it put a lot of water in the cockpit, we don’t always wear skirts in Florida, and a pain to use in very shallow water.

fav: (boring) yeah, Werner Cyprus
however, favorite for what?
I like variety,

• when paddling the 18X (on some daily paddles), I prefer using a wing (so I can ‘pretend’ I’m going fast)
  • surf, I use a ‘tougher’ paddle (not carbon) - Werner Player
  • rolling play - hands (to paraphrase - “paddles?, we don’t need no stinkin paddles”)
  • else, Cyprus (though, I do carry a greenland ‘storm’ paddle as a spare on long paddles)

However, recently borrowed Overstreet’s paddle. It felt pretty good. I have been somewhat ‘disillusioned’ by greenland paddles from one I previously had tried.
His has a ‘wider’ blade that the typical, it’s 4 1/4 inches (the only one I can find online is a ‘surf’ paddle from Gearlab, but the paddle is too short - for nonsurf).
I’ll have to give Shearwater (or CLC) a call sometime.

I have 3 wing paddles, all made by ONNO. All are different lengths and blade sizes, depending on which boat I’m using. I enjoy speed paddling and distance. I have other paddles as well, Bending Branches wooden kayak paddle, “Feather” paddlemade by ONNO and a piece of crap paddle given to me by my office when I retired. Have several canoe paddles as well.

Yes, a skirt is pretty mandatory with a GP to avoid a drowned lap – though the Inuit wrap cotton rags around the shaft, on either side of the loom (like the rubber deflectors on “standard” paddles) to prevent some of the spillage. I keep meaning to try that.

Attached image of rag-wrapped GP from Inuit artist Tivi Etook:

I have heard complaints that a GP gets water in the cockpit but frankly I have never had this issue. I use a canted blade (top edge of blade is tilted forward) and my hands usually remain forward of the cockpit opening. Some water drops do hit the foredeck (making a “drumming” sound), but not in my lap. I accelerate the paddle from start to finish, and the momentum also seems to help with the water landing on the foredeck. I’m wondering if the issue depends upon technique, cadence, body position or something else? I do prefer ocean cockpits, but also use a GP with my Greenlander Pro and 18X. Being in Florida, I often paddle without a skirt in calm conditions.

I could imagine this happening if you hold the paddle too close to your chest, or have a very slow cadence or have a huge cockpit. It would be interesting to see some videos from folks where this is an issue.

Drip rings are known in Greenland but are very uncommon. I have never seen them used on my trips there. They can affect the ability to slide the paddle shaft in your hands.

Greg

All of the paddles (collected by anthropologists) that are on display in the Carnegie Museum Polar World exhibit hall (here in Pittsburgh) have the rag wraps on the shafts – I believe most, if not all, were collected in the Canadian Provinces (Nunavut), not Greenland, so perhaps it (the rags) is a regional thing.

The 3 sea kayaks I use most often are Greenland style but with keyhole 19" x 34" cockpits, fairly standard. I paddle high angle with a fairly brisk cadence, upright posture with torso twist. My technique isn’t perfect, though I’ve had QTC instruction and try to practice good form. But I do have a short upper body and relatively short arms – it would be a reach for me to extend the loom past the coaming. I don’t get enough paddle runoff in the hull to require pumping, but it is annoying enough to have a damp lap that I prefer to use a skirt. Since I live up North and am more often out in chilly rather than warm water, that isn’t a problem.

Werner Bent Shaft Ikelos 205cm

Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

My favorite paddles?
Any of my full carbon paddles for $150 (11 days left on their current sale, and all of aliexpress has a big ‘chinese black friday’ sale on 11/11 which is coming up soon)

https://qqsportoars.aliexpress.com/store/group/kayak-paddle/315626_211082063.html?spm=2114.12010608/itm2home-1.nav-list.4.52ab2c74Ez3P5F

I have 2 of the QQ sport paddles and they cant be beat for performance&weight to cost ratio. They do take about 2-3 weeks for shipping, so dont order one and expect it tomorrow.

@willowleaf said

Attached image of rag-wrapped GP from Inuit artist Tivi Etook:

I don’t know but the expression on that guy’s face could be used at Halloween.

I bought an 220 cm Aquabound paddle with my first kayak in 2006. I didn’t like it and believed I could do better so I returned it to EMS for a refund. I then researched the web and found plans for making a Greenland paddle so I gave it a shot. I didn’t particularly like that either because it was very wet to use. Over time I have modified my design and now I use a 285 cm paddle made of ash that weighs only 28 ounces. When used at a low angle, it is very dry to use. It has a lot of flex in it which provides an extra kick at the end of the stroke. The blades are narrow so the wind has little effect on it. I have mad 200 paddles to date. I don’t sell them but if folks make a reasonable donation to my charity, Hooksett Community Food Pantry, they may have one. The most frequent donation is $100 and I have received as much as $200. If you are interested, email me at paddles@comcast.net. Ray, LTP Paddles.

Overstreet: You picked up on the horror, for sure. I’d look like that kayaker too if what was chasing him was after me! (see below for what that was.)

The translation of the story (written in Inuit text by the artist under the illustration of the terrified kayaker) is an old legend of a fearsome sea spirit that lived in a fjord and had killed off nearly all of the men in a village while they were hunting. Eventually there were only an old man and his two sons left. One of the sons (shown in the artwork) ventured up the fjord but managed to outrun the monster. Once they learned the nature of the beast, the father and his sons then prepared special spears and returned in their kayaks to the area and successfully killed the demon. Below is a full shot of the pursuit print and one of the successful defensive action.

Tivi Etook’s prints of Inuit lifestyle and legends are really cool – a Quebec native people’s arts project published the collection that includes these. Another First Nations artist who illustrated native life and kayak usage was Henry Napartuk – you can frequently buy some of his original prints for decent prices on Ebay.

I bought a Accent Maui paddle ($70 to $120) as a spare and now I use it often, 31 oz carbon shaft, plastic blades that seem to take quite a beating. I paddle in and close to rocks often and not being concerned about bashing carbon into things is relaxing, the blades do flex but the hull speed of my sea kayak is 4,5- 5 mph so not too hard to reach, I also have a Chinese carbon wing (zj gama) to push a K1 a bit faster. The 11-11 deal sounds good if import tariffs don’t kick in.

I’m a contributing writer for Aqua-Bound, and can give you a couple suggestions our customers love. These are right at your price point: Manta Ray Hybrid (high-angle) and Sting Ray Hybrid (low-angle). Both have a 100% carbon shaft with fiberglass-reinforced nylon blades. They weigh just under 32 ounces, and have our Posi-Lok® ferrule system, which gives you infinite feathering angles. The Sting Ray Hybrid is our best-selling touring paddle.

We just heard from one of our ProStaff kayak anglers who bought the Manta Ray way back when he started kayaking, and it’s still his favorite paddle!

You can find all the specs here: https://aquabound.com/categories/kayak-paddles

For the reader who mentioned we no longer sell the Carbon Swell, we have an even better option: the Tango Fiberglass. It’s more than you mentioned you want to spend, but wanted to let you know about it. So far our customers and ProStaff absolutely love this paddle (and its high-angle cousin, the Whiskey). We released it just over a year ago. It comes in very cool blade designs and colors, too, if you’re into that!

(https://aquabound.com/products/tango-fiberglass-2pc-posi-lok-kayak-paddle “Tango”)

If you’re a serious paddler who loves challenging conditions, you may want to consider spending more for a paddle designed for high-performance. If you’re more of a recreational/weekend paddler, you’ll be more than happy with the Manta Ray or Sting Ray Hybrids, or something like them.

Good luck in your search!

My favorite is the Sawyer Feather V-LAM Paddle. 27oz, price is kind of up there but it is both beautiful and the performance is outstanding. My backup is a Werner carbon shaft paddle. Functions well just not as pretty as the Sawyer. Lol

My favorite low cost paddle (relatively speaking) is the Werner Skagit.

@sharon@sharonbrodin.com said:
I’m a contributing writer for Aqua-Bound, and can give you a couple suggestions our customers love. These are right at your price point: Manta Ray Hybrid (high-angle) and Sting Ray Hybrid (low-angle). Both have a 100% carbon shaft with fiberglass-reinforced nylon blades. They weigh just under 32 ounces, and have our Posi-Lok® ferrule system, which gives you infinite feathering angles. The Sting Ray Hybrid is our best-selling touring paddle.

We just heard from one of our ProStaff kayak anglers who bought the Manta Ray way back when he started kayaking, and it’s still his favorite paddle!

You can find all the specs here: https://aquabound.com/categories/kayak-paddles

For the reader who mentioned we no longer sell the Carbon Swell, we have an even better option: the Tango Fiberglass. It’s more than you mentioned you want to spend, but wanted to let you know about it. So far our customers and ProStaff absolutely love this paddle (and its high-angle cousin, the Whiskey). We released it just over a year ago. It comes in very cool blade designs and colors, too, if you’re into that!

(https://aquabound.com/products/tango-fiberglass-2pc-posi-lok-kayak-paddle “Tango”)

If you’re a serious paddler who loves challenging conditions, you may want to consider spending more for a paddle designed for high-performance. If you’re more of a recreational/weekend paddler, you’ll be more than happy with the Manta Ray or Sting Ray Hybrids, or something like them.

Good luck in your search!

Thank you Sharon.