What Paddle do you use?

Different paddles
I use a Werner Camano 220cm with my P&H Capella, an Aquabound Manta Ray 215cm with my Prijon Capri. With the Hobie SOT I’ll use the 230cm paddles it came with.

Don

paddle
I also use a home made GP, red cedar btw. Have a whole bunch of very expensive paddles that never seem to get used anymore :slight_smile:

Bill H.

ONNO
I have a small collection of other paddles I have picked up second hand but don’t use any but my ONNO surf and full tour. (Except if I am going to play in rocks)

Lindel, AT, and Lumpy NM

AT Ergo T4
I use the T4, I prefer the small surface area of the blade.

Paddles
Sea Swift 220 in carbon with my touring boat

My favorites
My Werner Carbon Camano and especially my Lumpy paddle. Please see his reviews and learn more about them. Just great.

Paddles
Werner Kalliste Carbon straight shaft 220

Epic Active Tour Burgandy shaft 210-220

Aquabound Stingray 220

ONNO
Have a full tour Wing, One of Pat’s Feather paddles for kids and guests (it’s a pretty amazing paddle) Real easy on the shoulders, no flutter and really light. Pat’s building me a small mid tour Wing that I should be getting soon.

Got a bunch of other paddles I rarely use now.

Werner Ikelos
215 bent shaft… primary paddle…

220 Lendel Kinetic touring S bent shaft as back up

gets me where I need to go…

What’s getting used

– Last Updated: Apr-08-09 11:26 PM EST –

Main paddle: 205cm Werner Shuna (becomes the spare paddle on camping trips)
"Reserve" paddle: 205cm Werner Cyprus (becomes the main paddle on camping trips)
WW paddle: 191cm Werner Sherpa

All with standard-diameter straight shafts. The Cyprus is the trips paddle because that's when I do more miles, day after day, and I appreciate the lighter weight. But also because I like to "train" by using the heavier Shuna--and I swear the Shuna is a little pickier on technique for sculling and draws. Forward stroke feels better with the Cyprus, so that one is my favorite.

I like the Shuna and Cyprus but I think the Sherpa's blade might be too big for me.

My current top 3
First two are tied for top slot.

AKYKA “Woodwing” hybrid (own design - native and “modern” features - used with wing grip width/wing stroke).

AKYKA Aleut - changed everything.

Of course I’m a questionable source of info as I make these! I’d say ask the select few others who have one of my paddles what they think, but I think they’re more biased than I am.

#3 is my trusty and beloved Superior CF GP. It’s used for dirty work and roll play now more than paddling anywhere with it though. As sweet as it is for just paddling that should give anyone who has one some idea how nicely the others perform. I can make a pretty mean GP too (thanks for the comments on that storm moparharn!), and ones that are much more dialed in to my needs than the one blade size fits all Superior, but I don’t use GPs all that much now that I have other touring options. Besides, others make very nice GPs too and my limited supply of acceptable quality wood is better used for making the other types.

I’ll be happy to give long term demo/reviews of whatever euro paddles anyone wants to send me, but just can’t justify paying for any of them! Not until I move somewhere with WW or decent surf anyway…

Werner Shuna
I paddle with a Werner Shuna, small diameter straight shaft.

primarily…
210 Werner Cyprus, Carbon, Crank-shaft

sometimes…

Mitchell Greenland paddle

Turbo wing is my only paddle
So rugged, it was good enough for van koeverden to win olympic gold

Onno and BB
Primary is an Onno Full Tour… it’s a great paddle.

I also have a Bending Branches Slice Carbon Plus that I like alot. Plus an aluminum Aquabound Stingray and a BB Whisper that I mostly loan out.

Fer deep water…
Ah’ mostly use a cherry Nashwaak Cruiser an’ a walnut or birdseye maple Shaw an’ Tenney Racine. Fer rocky stuff a beater Bendin’ Branches Beavertail or an Expedition Plus. Fer WW a Mitchell Open Boat.

Throw another 3 dozen+ or so in every once in a while.

FE