Which boat for 20-30 mile day trips?

A wing paddle functions as a wing, a Euro paddle does not. Taking the paddle past 45° begins a sweep stroke that throws the boat off course.

Wing gives you 3% advantage when use by pros.

1 Like

Longer the paddle you’re using low angle the more yaw you will get. It’s just more leverage.

3 Likes

I dont find it to be a problem.

No clue how you’re measuring 0.16 mph with all the variables involved with paddling.

1 Like

Nice brick!

That explanation is not hard to see if you watch racing where pro’s use wings.

Ok, Question:
When using a wing paddle are you simply concentrating to a more focused degree on proper technique, just as you would with a euro blade, or is the wing paddle used in a slightly different way?
In other words do you stroke a wing and a euro the same way or a bit differently?

3 Likes

It’s not waddling like a duck it’s slight yawing of the hull.

1 Like

Wing paddle is a different stroke than a Euro. I never tried one but I can watch videos of it. Look at racing videos or tutorials on wing paddles on YouTube.

From my understanding the wing paddle is like a wing but it’s lift is not upward but forward as you sweep to the side.

1 Like

If you’re looking for ultimate speed it is not helpful. Millions paddle going side to side or yawning and care little if any about the motion.

Jyak

“I now use the range to verify that I haven’t varied. Instead of the GPS showing I wandered, it shows straight.”

Forgive me but don’t really understand what you mean?

Not going there. That’s an old conversation. If I make average gains of .1 mph per trip and get to within .16 mph from my old top speed, are you suggesting I should ignore the GPS reading and make up a number, especially if I use 8.37 miles as the measured distance then divide the amount of stop watch measured time from start to finish and come up with 4.84 avg mpg. I can call that .1 mph or .2 mph from my previous high speed. I started last year with 2.9 mph avg and finished at 4.5 mph.

From my calculations, I’m comfortable with the figure. The range of recorded distances for the course, depending on variations from straight, where I turn around or cut corners is between 8.37 and 8.6 (the distance of 8.46 miles is most common and its close to my chart measurement of 8.5 miles). Stop watch times for covering that distance gives me fairly accurate correlation with GPS, so I will not entertain discussions about how inaccurate GPS reading are. I’m sure my math could be faulty, so like the nuns told us, write the equation. I’ve looked at logs, screenshots of apps, GPS screens, nautical charts of the actual course paddled. The difference between 4.84 and 5.0 is so insignificant, I could claim 4.5 or 5 or 4.75 or 4.85. No! I think I’ll call it 4.84. The actual number isn’t the issue.

Here’s the manual calculation (note that it takes 30 seconds to a minute to put the phone in the Pelucan, strap it to my seat and recover it to stop the app):

8.37 miles in 1:44 (1 hr 43 min 44 sec) or 1.733 hrs=
4.8297 avg mph speed or .17 mph.

8.46 miles in 1:44 (1 hr 43 min 44 sec) or 1.733 hrs =
4.88 avg mph speed or .12 mph difference.

8.6 miles in 1:44 (1 hr 43 min 44 sec) or 1.733 hrs =
4.962 avg mph or .038 difference.

So if the GPS distance error is actually between 8.37 and 8.6 miles = .23 miles (its not unreasonable to think I could vary the distance paddle by up to a 1/4 mile based on where I turn around, which can account for at least .1 miles.

There’s my last GPS app screen shot. What am I missing? How far off is the the app. Maybe I’m not using the chart right. Is my math significantly wrong? Maybe my average average is closer to 4.88 mph. Thats a .02 mph wrror. Nah, I’m sticking to 4.84 mph.

Its not a big deal. My goal is to recover my ability to do what I could do 12 years ago. I’m at least .5 mph away from my goal. I’ll get there. That’s all. If you don’t trust your GPS, don’t!

@PaddleDog52, when I tried to stay on the range, it was a matter of reacting. Its like driving on ice. The car always delays reacting, unless you anticipate and get in front of the turn. Or let go of the wheel and let camber return the wheel to center. The add minimal corrections.

By looking ahead and realizing you will have to edge the boat, the key is start edging before you have to, then cut it short. If you don’t WATCH the range but concentrate going straight, you get a sense of the boat. Like driving down the highway. You don’t look at the lines on the road and stay beyween them. You look down the road. Ignore the range and look every thirty seconds or so to see if its lined up. If you do it right, the range is still lined up. A conditioned shooter will tell you the same thing. Position your body so when you bring the pistol up into tne firing position, the sights are on center, on target. I’m not concerned that you don’t believe me. I don’t care if you accept the premise. I’m just saying you won’t convince me that commercial GPS isn’t accurate enough to rely on and you wont convi ce me that a long paddle and low and low angle has to result in a boat waddling like a duck. I believe it has to do with poor execution of the technique. Its my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

By the way, no offense taken.

A wing paddle is primarily designed for competitive paddling, although it is certainly appropriate for everyday paddling. When used correctly, it is slightly more efficient than a euro paddle in terms of a forward stroke. That is what it is designed for. It does not work quite as well for bracing, maneuvering, rolling, or back paddling. It all depends on what is most important to you.

Although it is nearly impossible to eliminate all other the variables, repetitive paddles over a set course should eventually show a difference with different boats, paddles, etc. as measured by a GPS in terms of time and average speed, not necessarily the recorded track.

2 Likes

I give up.

“I give up”

That’s one thing I’ll never believe for sure :smiley:. I can’t read all that it’s to late at night.

1 Like

Lions and tigers and bears. Oh, my!

2 Likes

Just trying to answer a question.

Again we’re talking yaw of a half to a few inches no waddling like a :duck:. Post a video of you boat going forward at max speed looking at the bow.

1 Like