WHICH KAYAK 8 FEET OR LESS?

Well, I live in an over 65 apartment building (a/k/a Geezerville) near the intercoastal Waterway in South Florida. To keep in shape and to exercise the new metal shoulder replacement that Uncle Sam gave me, I’m going to get another kayak (sit-in). The problem is I’m limited by 8’ ceilings & the elevator. Also, my limited strength dictates a fairly light craft. In a perfect world, I’d like to take some decent trips and maybe go camping, and, the ICW can get a bit choppy. Obviously, major compromise is called for. I’m thinking that I could modify a basic 8’ model to install foot rests, maybe thigh padding, storage and definitely sealed flotation as needed. I was thinking maybe a Sundolphin Aruba 8 or maybe one of the Pelican 8’s. Since my knowledge of what’s out there is kinda limited, your alternative suggestions would be graciously accepted. Thanks guys!!

8’ kayak in choppy water? Not me. Store one somewhere. What is choppy water to you?

Folding kayak??? Pakboat Quest 150 fits in a duffel bag, weighs under 30 pounds, and assembles in under 30 minutes to a 15 foot sea kayak.

An alternative is the Oru kayak. It is easier to assemble/take down, but is slightly/shorter wider/slower. If you’re considering an 8 foot, either would be a huge improvement in paddling dynamics.

Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 is a nice and reasonable beginner sit-in kayak. You can save up to few bucks from amazon too. It is light weight and easy to control kayak buy it is not recommended for challenging waters.

Two or three piece kayak but more expensive.

Sundolphin Aruba 8 is a flat water boat IMHO.

@PaddleDog52 said:

Some reviews posted here have also called it a death trap.

A link for the OP to read: http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayaks/

@Rookie said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

Some reviews posted here have also called it a death trap.

A link for the OP to read: http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayak/

Read some out of time but excellent article so far will finish later should be posted here more often thanks

Re: Folding kayaks
REI carries ORU and Klepper has been around a long time.
You really do not want an 8’ Kayak.

To keep myself out of trouble, I’m not going to say what most others here would say except it might be interpreted as being rude–as regards the pool toy type of “kayak.”

Sam, you need to do a lot more looking and learning what constitutes a reasonable choice for what you have in mind.

Nobody here is trying to be mean or uppity. It is just reality and your safety. Like they say “don’t take a knife to a gun fight.”

You can’t cheat on the laws of buoyancy, 8 feet is very short. There are a lot of people blowing sunshine to sell boats easy to transport or store when performance on water should be a higher priority. You don’t want to drown.

Folding or inflatable seems like the only way to support an adult weight.

Checkout issue #9 of California Kayaker Magazine at http://calkayakermag.com/magazine.htmlhttp://calkayakermag.com/magazine.html. There is an article on kayaking and small living places.

An 8’ kayak is very sub-optimal for what you are looking to do. Many good suggestions on how to get around this mentioned before. Repeating some I think would be best for you to consider:

What part of south Fla?
Best thing to do is find out what kayak is best for what you intend to do then figure out how to accommodate the boat storage requirements.
We had two 80 something’s show up at the state Rendezvous with a pair of WalMart specials and capsize in the trees . Don’t buy based solely on logistics.
Link up with a local club . Most of 'em down there have “geezer” squads that would help you out.

@abz said:
Folding kayak??? Pakboat Quest 150 fits in a duffel bag, weighs under 30 pounds, and assembles in under 30 minutes to a 15 foot sea kayak.

An alternative is the Oru kayak. It is easier to assemble/take down, but is slightly/shorter wider/slower. If you’re considering an 8 foot, either would be a huge improvement in paddling dynamics.

Thanks @abz I will definitely follow all the good advice I received.

I second ABZ’s suggestion. I’m 67 and have 4 Pakboat kayaks at the moment (I plan to sell 2 of them over the winter to reduce the fleet). I took my 12’ long and 23 pound weight Pakboat Puffin solo (older version of their current Puffin Saco) to England last Spring. It’s a great compact boat (see photo below) – easy to set up (even for us geezers) and I can throw it on the roof of my car with one hand or carry it in a duffel bag. The removable deck on Pakboats makes them a breeze to pack gear for an overnight trip and they are very comfortable and stable in choppy water. Reasonably priced, too, comparable to decent quality plastic boats. They also have more room for gear than fully inflatable kayaks and tend to paddle a bit faster due to being narrower and more rigid. If you can set up a camping tent, you can set up a folding kayak.

If you get a Puffin, be sure to order the inflatable foot brace too (it’s an add on.) If you think you might venture out on big windy lakes or the sea coast OR you are over 200 pounds yourself, their Quest 150 would be a better choice. Any folding kayak also needs inflatable flotation bags to fill the space in bow and stern if the boat will not be filled with dry bags full of gear (keeps water from filling the hull in a capsize.)

Best to avoid Sundolphins and Pelicans – they are flimsy and poorly designed pool toys, at best.

There is a used Oru kayak on sale in Orlando area for $650. That is half price. It looks to be in fine shape, and they are tough to damage…

12 ft Oru Bay Kayak

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/spo/6395512300.html

REI stocks them and has a rental program if you wanted to see one in person before trekking to Orlando.

Emotion Spitfire 8 or Lifetime Lotus 8 are both decent options as far as short kayaks go. I wrote an article specifically for people in your situation with limited living space or people who can’t fuss with a big, heavy full size kayak. I go through numerous options depending on what your greatest needs are (short? lightweight? both?).

Performance will be compromised somewhat so you have to adjust your expectations, but overall I’ve found people to be very happy with the kayaks recommended in this list. Good luck!

http://boardandkayaklife.com/short-lightweight-kayaks/

Emotion Spitfire and Lifetime Lotus are barely a step above pool toys – Walmart junk. Flimsy construction and low end design, not safe for any water deeper than a few feet or paddling anywhere but along the shore of a pond or slow creek in calm weather. I’ve no doubt that people who spend $300 on them as their first kayak think they’re “fine” since most folks who do that have never been in any other type of boat. The OP specifically mentioned a sit inside kayak with safety features and storage, for extended trips and fitness. Those models are sit on tops and don’t fit at all what he is looking for.

I hate to say it but if your budget, storage place, lifting abilities, vehicle’s ability to transport, or any other thing limits you from the proper safety on the water find another activity. That is easier than finding another life. Other option is save money or rent. Junk will always be junk. To many think I’ll limit myself to where I will go but I bet those barriers fall fast when you’re out there by your own decision or mother nature’s decision.

OP said a bit choppy what is that? I think a bit choppy on ICW would be 18". I have been in waters in bays with 17’ plus sea kayak with small chop…I had to be real attentive. Looking from a spot on land vs. string below the waters level is a whole new perspective. A 12" wave broadside at times can roll on my skirt and would put water in my kayak under the right conditions.