why do kayakers ignore kayakers??

no nigels tshirt
that would be funny.

or just a shirt that had Nigels with a circle and line through it, even funnier.

of course i hold Nigels in high esteem, i just think it would be a funny tshirt.

I want a
Pop Fiona’s whitehead shirt

How’s about
a tshirt with a picture of the grey thing on it asking “What is this grey thing on my shirt?”

No subject NM

Why Do “Kayakers” Worry About What
other kayakers think? You’re out to “kayak.” Just get on with it. You’re kayaker because you kayak, not because you chat up, or get chatted up by, other kayakers.

sing

I kayak, therefore I am.

Just how people are nowadays
Back when I first started paddling in the late 1970’s, paddlers almost all acknowledged one another, and many times chatted it up, as there weren’t many of us. Time passed, paddling became mainstream, and the full spectrum of folks started paddling. Jerks included.

When I started kayaking about 12 years ago, if you saw another kayaker, you both tended to paddle towards each other to see who it was. Now, people see another kayaker, and paddle away. I’ve had women yell at me to stay away because I was a man (Even though I wasn’t paddling towards them anyway, just happened to be going the same direction faster than they were), seen paddlers yell at other paddlers stating “you’ve got the whole ocean/river/lake, why do you have to paddle near me?”, etc, etc, etc. It’s all a function of how people are where I live. I’ve seen it be better and worse in other places I’ve paddled, it generally goes with the character of people in the area.

I see it in cycling now, too. Road cyclists generally acknowledge each other, and give a verbal warning of “on your left” if they’re passing you. Less and less so now. Just wednesday night, I was cycling on a busy road, and another cyclist overtook me and passed in traffic without telling me, and caused two cars behind him to have to slow down to our speed, because they didn’t have room to pass. His response to their blowing their horns was to flip them off and not get out of the way as fast as he could. He unnecessarily put us both in danger simply for ego — it would have slowed him down to be courteous. I also notice that if I take my mountain bike instead of my road bike, I get a lot fewer nods or waves. Guess I’m not a “serious” rider on that bike…

It isn’t necessary to acknowledge anyone, it’s just a nice thing to do that separates paddlers, cyclists, and bikers from the rest of life. I don’t take it personal if people don’t do it, but I do take rudeness and arrogance as an affront, because that behavior reflects on all of us.

Pam, It’s just you!
HAHA

Who cares, anyway? If you want to say hello, then say hello. You have nothing to lose.

Drivers on back roads
Car and truck drivers on country backroads seem to acknowledge each other, with the two-finger lift from the steering wheel as they pass head-on, at least here in Texas.

Boaters in Texas wave at each other
no matter what their craft.

Bake cookies for them
Everybody loves cookies.

Demographics
Some people are outgoing some are not. Colorado used to be a very friendly place before all of these strangers moved in from California, Texas, Michigan and elsewhere. I’ve found the Texans to be the most likely to converse and even initiate a conversation. It’s a cultural thing. Also, Kids are taught not to talk to strangers. Strangers who respect this will not talk to kids either. Being a white male adult I don’t talk to kids whose parents are not right there. (This very public message board seems to be a safe exception.) My demographic is the most likely to be accused of all manner of devious behavior.

yep nm

and geographics
In William Least Heat Moon’s book, “Blue Highways”, he travels the US in a van driving from small town to small town on 2 lane interstates. He talks quite a bit about how people are more or less social with strangers depending on where they live. An interesting social study.

Cookies
I’ll talk to you if you bring cookies. Until they’re gone of course, so bring a lot.

Travels with Charley
Steinbeck talks about that as well.

Just say hello…
What is interesting about kayaking is how quiet it can be out on the water. People in motorboats just wave to each other because there is no way to really hear each other over the motors. Kayakers crossing paths can share a few words even if there are a good distance away.

???
Never interact? In my area most will at least say “hi.”

Canoeists talk to eachother
But of course, we’re just so darned thrilled to see someone other than ourselves in one that we just have to say “hi”.

Kayakers on the other hand are focused on killing seal, walrus and some other odd creatures called boofs and endos. “Mutual of Omaha Presents” never featured 'em, so I know nothing.

Phreon

Always ignore…?
It could be just your perception.

Keep smiling and saying hello. You’ve got nothing to lose.

Honestly
I’m a loner. I gave up power boating for the solitude of kayaking. If you wave or speak I will not be rude and ignore you, but I’m really not interested in human interaction when I put my boat in the water. If I am kayaking near you, and we share a glance I will give the courtesy wave. But I really enjoy the solitude of being left alone on the water. Maybe it comes from being a mother to 5 and a top Executive where I work. But I just really want to be left alone when I’m on the water, lol. I hope that doesn’t sound terrible, it’s just my escape.