why do kayakers ignore kayakers??

L
That works on wives too…

L
Its may be a Pamlico thing, folks see that and think what a confused person, is he paddling a Kayak or a decked canoe aka plastic Kruger… Then they see its made of plastic and less then 16’ long and think rec-boater, why would I want to talk to a REC-Boater? all rec-boats suck and the folks that paddle them should stay on the beach! Or maybe the Canoe folks talk to you because those are the only boats that you can keep up with as we all know Kayaks are much faster, and who wants to slow down to talk with some plastic rec boat driver!! Its just like in Golf if you show up using some knock-off brand of club…or maybe they just don’t like you personally? or maybe you have and obnoxious boat color like RED, or worst Lime green, the only things that look good in red are fast sports cars, or kayaks and Ducaties,Oh and women! nothing looks good in Lime green. or maybe you dress funny, like so many yack drivers do looking like Devo band members… or… maybe the Yack drivers are to tired to talk from setting new speed records! or maybe its George Bush’s fault who knows… bottom line like Jack said, speak and you will be spoken to. Wave and you will be waved at, its a pretty simple concept…

Now that’s funny right there!
It is W’s fault!

JR- new chatty dude in a Dick’s rec. boat.

the truth
The kid is right; as a disproportionate percentage of kayakers do have “attitudes”.

To those of you who don’t see it, all I can say is “Well, perhaps you should look harder (and perhaps use a mirror).”

My father taught me to wave to all passing boaters, and I still do, unless they’re kayakers; I now wait for kayakers to greet me first as it gets really tiresome to have one’s greeting not reciprocated. Sadly, only about one-third of passing kayakers initiate a greeting, as the rest just paddle on by living in their little fantasy world.

The same thing has happened in bicycling. If the passing peddler is wearing biker shorts and an ugly shirt you can pretty much not even bother offering them a greeting as they usually won’t reciprocate.

Of course, there is talk amongst the elite of subtle pinky waves, but anyone with half a brain knows that’s b.s.

Be darned - not my experience
Of course, I’m pretty friendly. Any and all paddlecraft and most all powered boat operators (except maybe jet boats that are moving by too fast) wave to one another out on the river I use the most. It’s pretty wide, so we may not come over and will frequently take action to avoid crashing someone’s fishing hole, but there’s nearly always a wave or some sort of recognition. If they’re close enough, folks will chit-chat in passing. Mostly folks are out fishing where I go, which is also why I’m there. Maybe that makes a difference. We’re all fishermen regardless of the boat we’ve got so why not say hello.

Back at the ramps, I’ve helped folks load or unload, and I’ve been on the receiving end. Beers, waters, Gatorades, and/or snacks get shared among friends and strangers. It’s a pleasant experience overall.

• Big D

waving
I don’t wave at other kayakers because when I do i usually flip my boat.

Jeez, just paddle!!!
Are you playing 14 like Pam?

Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing - or worse - projecting your internal issues/biases into scenarios of what they may, or (heaven forbid!) may not, be thinking of you.

If I ever pass you and don’t wave, trust me - it has SQUAT to do with you - or me either for that matter. I’m just paddling.

I wave more often than not, but I almost never stop to chat unless it’s someone I already know. Same goes onshore at demos/events, unless Ir am making/responding to some specific inquiry.

I avoid waving at peddlers
When you wave at a peddler, they think you want to buy some of whatever they are selling, regardless of whether they are peddling while pedaling or just doing it on foot.

Like Swedge…

I can’t remember a time
when a wave or a greeting has not happenned anytime I have been on the water. Waves for too far away and greetings or mini conversations for closer.

never once has anyone not responded or initiated a greeting of some sort.

Paul

That makes two of us
It has nothing to do with being a mother or executive, because I am neither and I feel the same as you do about enjoying time alone when paddling.

Once in a while a “social paddle” is nice. Once in a while. For the most part I like to just look far ahead and feel the rhythm of the paddle, the boat, and the water. There is nothing as irritating as hearing nonstop chatter when paddling (or hiking or biking), IMO.

I have really been noticing this lately because I’ve been practicing at a small pond where a local outfitter gives lessons several days a week. I can hear the instructors and students talking a long ways off. The WW instructors are the worst, because they tend to shout “AWESOME” over and over and over again. And I do mean shout. Then there’s the rescue-dog-training groups (barkbarkbarkbarkbarkHELPDOGHELPMEDOGbarkbarkbark for hours on end).

and if they wear expensive sunglasses…
…forget it.

It always amuses me to hear people judge others because they think those people are judgemental. What a crock.

If you’re looking that hard to identify people who are judgemental you’re wasting time that could be spent paying attention to yourself (and just having fun).

but it hurts my ego
when you don’t wave to me…:wink:

I’m paddling
And generally focused. If I wave, and I usually do, I have to stop paddling and take one hand off the paddle. Not that big a deal, but when you’re “in the groove” it can be irritating. I think I’ll rig up a spring-loaded arm with a hand on the end of it and attach it to my foredeck. With a trigger close to where my hands pass as I paddle, I’ll be able to wave at everyone! Or maybe just make a bobble head arm/hand that simply waves all the time?

for me, it depends…
If it’s a busy area and there are lots of paddlers out, I generally don’t bother. If it’s remote and I cross paths with one or two paddlers, there’s always some form of acknowledgment and sometimes a small chat.

hmmm …
Once again the p-net ‘regulars’ fail to surprise or impress.

I know I’m not alone in what I’ve seen and experienced and the mere fact that many of you feel the need to offer up weak excuses for your uncivil behavior – or counter with personal jabs against the messengers that are saying things you don’t want to hear – pretty much says it all.

Maybe P-Net regulars who object to P’s observations should get a t-shirt that says: “Proud & dysfunctional paddler ahead.” [note the witty and effusive reference to ‘ahead’ because I know you all have the fastest boats on the water, bar none.]

and once again
the rest of the world is wrong and you’re right. Your own little island, only this time you have a buddy.

This is becoming a tiresome tune rvwen.

it’s you
By the way.

You and rvwen.

Where I paddle I almost always issue some form of greeting, except when someone else does. Then I return the gesture.

It may be a nod, a wave, a waggle of my offhand fingers, a “how’s the fishing? Get anything?”, a “nice canoe”, a “nice yak”, a “aren’t you the funny kid on p-net”…

Maybe you should try extending the greeting first. If people don’t say hi to you theyre either

grumpy

deaf

can’t say hi or wave back

believing rvwen’s bs.

None of those reasons reflect on you.

Friendly is nice, but…
Being friendly is great and all, and in Texas we do tend to be fairly friendly, especially when boating, but I don’t consider it necessary to wave or say hi to every stranger I meet, even on the water.

Do you walk around the mall saying “hi” to every single person you pass? Why is it different on the water?

no canoers
I’ve never met anyone who was paddling a canoe. They must be extremely antisocial. I’ve met many very social kayakers. They’ve even talked to me son!

Joanne