why do kayakers ignore kayakers??

I’ve never met a stranger
at least not for long.

ROFLMAO!
Good one, Sean!

In this neck of the woods
most everyone is friendly and will wave or chat except the wealthy tourists who hire the fly fishing guides in the drift boats. The guides are nice but the tourists are a bit stuffy. I think it comes from being filthy rich.

Same here in Georgia
I think they are trying to impress us with their skill which to me they are paying someone to take them to a place where they can catch fish…in a stocked river…Duh?

I’m not impressed but I know all of the guides who are very friendly.

Richard

I’v been ignoring this thread
Was paddling with some out of towners one day. Saw a friend of mine paddling his surf ski toward us down the shoreline. I quickly said to the nice looking gal outoftowner, “when this guy paddles by, say Hey Jim, good to see you!”. She played it up, I paddled by on the far outdside of the group hiding under my hat. He was too transfixed with the beautiful blonde paddler who seemed to remember him even though he couldn’t remember her. He smiled a pleasant but puzzled smile and mustered up a week embarassed hello. He he he.

see, I don’t even let strangers ignore one another.

makes three of us…
I too paddle for solitude and serenity. When I’ve had the occasional paddle with another person, especially a chatty person, I found it took something away from my experience.

But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t greet other boaters. To the contrary- a greeting to me is an acknowledgment of mutual enjoyment of being out on the water, and it helps to create good p.r. among boaters- which can only be helpful in the big picture of things.

~Trish

don’t agree with the original premis
I paddle a lot here in Maine and all,not most, all seakayakers who I’ve been in contact with on the water–literally thousands over the years, at least will wave and say hi—most will engage you in a short, if not extended, conversation—even those from such traditonally unfriendly places as New York or Massachusetts—so I haven’t had the experience that youve had.