Wildlife photo thread

Here are a couple more bird shots of a Prothonotary Warbler taken while on the water paddling the Saluda River.

I meant to post this photo of a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron last night when I posted For the Birds.

And a nest with the chicks in it. They are the fuzzy stuff you can see sticking up above the nest.

2 Likes

Prothonotary warblers are the cutest, and they don’t stay still!
I’ve been seeing fewer and fewer yellow-crowned night herons on the Wekiva. Finally saw two juveniles in August.

2 Likes

Nice. The Trumpeters around here have been wiped out by evil invasive mute swans.

@sissy103 and @castoff I am loving your bird photos!

I have an update on the abandoned domestic ducks. I see them regularly with their adopted wild flock, and they are comically large in comparison. There are a few houses between the boat ramp and the restaurant that has been feeding them. This morning I saw the entire flock and “my” two being fed by a homeowner. I stopped to talk with him and he is aware they are domestic. He talked to his vet about what to feed them. My heart practically swelled right out of my chest upon hearing this. And he has made arrangements with a local farmer who keeps ducks to try to catch them and take them to their farm once the wild ducks leave. So yay! No photos again - today was a fitness paddle. I can’t tell you how relieved I am.

2 Likes

Thank you Pru. Here is one I almost missed.

2 Likes

Great Blue Heron in a tree

Green Heron

“My” ducks :heart:

4 Likes

A momentarily wild puppy.

3 Likes

“Irrational exuberance”?
Greenspan never went fur roomies,
nor investing time with those canine
seldom spent of stocked-up zoomies.

1 Like

More Bryozoans:

4 Likes

I had confirmation from two knowledgeable people that the mystery bird on the stump in the water is a Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Sure would have liked a better photo of that one.

1 Like

does the fuzzy animal on the shore count?

1 Like

You have to careful of those mountain lions… :slightly_smiling_face:

Neat! Thank you.

You captured a duck’s ass, too. (or at least a snag that looks like one.)

1 Like

Cul de Cunard

1 Like

3 Likes

Juvenile little blue heron, adult little blue heron, white-tailed buck, hatchling alligator on mama’s back.

5 Likes

Great photos Sissy!

Two whitetail deer swimming in the Enoree river as we Canoe.

Frank took this of one of the deer looking for a way up the bank.

2 Likes

These are fantastic, Sissy. I’ve never seen a Little Blue Heron (in person).

Thanks, Pru. Little blues are year round residents in Florida. I think they’re prettiest when they’re just starting to turn from white to blue. They hatch in the springtime, of course, and from June to April they are white. Then from April to June, they transition to adult coloration.

3 Likes