Wildlife photo thread

Juvenile little blue heron, adult little blue heron, white-tailed buck, hatchling alligator on mama’s back.

5 Likes

Great photos Sissy!

Two whitetail deer swimming in the Enoree river as we Canoe.

Frank took this of one of the deer looking for a way up the bank.

2 Likes

These are fantastic, Sissy. I’ve never seen a Little Blue Heron (in person).

Thanks, Pru. Little blues are year round residents in Florida. I think they’re prettiest when they’re just starting to turn from white to blue. They hatch in the springtime, of course, and from June to April they are white. Then from April to June, they transition to adult coloration.

3 Likes

Oh, I agree with you! Pity we don’t have them here at all - I’d love to see them in person. I look forward to being able to travel again one day.

1 Like

Gooses

Double crested cormorant

4 Likes

Egyptian Goose (not actually a goose :-)) pair, plus babies (you have to look hard). Snapped from my kayak at Lake Travis in Austin, TX. Had never seen one before, was a bit disappointed to discover they’re consider a “pest” :unamused:

It’s unsettling how some things can be considered a pest and exterminated, while others are encouraged. When I fist started paddling the Gunpowder River area of the Chessapeake Bay. The coves had some type of swan that I believe migrated through the region during autumn. They’d appear individually, in pairs or in small flocks. I especially enjoyed when they would fly overhead, because of their slow, graceful flight, and the audible swishing sound of the massive wings. Within a few years I didn’t see them anymore. I mentioned it and was told . . . for lack of a verified or more informed explanation . . . They were discouraged from the area. The explanation given was that they devastated the grasses that were a food source for other water fowl. Sloppy eaters. I miss them.

Finally got to see a moose from my kayak. I’ve wanted to for a long time.

5 Likes

Spot the Moose. Peek-a-boo.
missed a similar shot of a deer from the water because phone took too long to focus after hitting shutter button.

We paddled past the “judging committee” this past Sunday.
Dockton, Maury Island, Washington

3 Likes

I like this judging committee…just keep your distance…

5 Likes

They are so cute!

1 Like

I have to admit that this is one of my most dramatic wildlife-from-kayak shots, from May of this year.

7 Likes

Beautiful!

I was just sitting here wondering how I’m going to carry my new(ish) camera in my new-to-me kayak. I might have to get a deck bag.

1 Like

I use a camera bag insert inserted into a dry sack. A DSLR with 18-135 and a 55-250 telezoom for my little critter friends. Since the insert is rectangular and the bag is round, there’s room to the sides of the insert for phone, spare batteries, and whatever else. In the sit in I keep it between my knees, in (on?) the SOT it’s usually in the tankwell but sometimes between my legs.

It doesn’t get opened unless I’m stationary (or close) and stable and there’s no spray/splash/etc likely to get in. And I don’t bring my best gear.

1 Like

2 Likes

Shackleford Banks is a cool place to paddle and spend a day or an overnight.

I used a Pelican box but it took too long to get the SLR out and take a shot. Then I got a kayak with a day hatch. It took just as long but at least I didn’t have a box between my knees.

Then I got a water proof Nikon. But no lens cap; finding something dry to wipe the lens is not always easy.

Then I got a splash proof FZ300 with a nice zoom. Dead if I dump, but so far so good.

BTW picture taken with an IPX8 Galaxy S7 that has survived for an hour or two under 2 feet of water. You can get a used one on eBay for $65 and just use it as a camera.

1 Like