Wildlife photo thread

I’m sure the brown sauce would have tasted very bad! :flushed: :woozy_face:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Snakes, alligators, bears, mountain lions, orcas… How about some love for the non-threatening, ubiquitous coot.

1 Like

Shot a coot once. Tried to eat it. Yuk! Ducks were better. Gave up hunting a long time ago.

2 Likes

Coots are “water pigeons”.

Baby Seal napping apparently…I think this was Dabob Bay, WA. Didn’t know what it was until I was right up on it.

2 Likes

Gorgeous mermaids in the river that leads out of Silver Springs State Park, FL.

5 Likes

More than 70 different species have been posted so far! (I’ve started a list). Disturbingly, lots of alligators and snakes. I’m with 3meterswell on that. I think the manatees might be the rarest? Here’s a spotted sandpiper to keep it going.

A treat seen on an early morning paddle near Wenatchee, WA. A piebald deer! Only about 2% of deer have this coloring.

5 Likes

Certainly a Flycatcher but I’m not sure which one. I suspect Alder Flycatcher because of the white throat and the hard to see eye ring, but I’m not at all certain. And the Alder is maddeningly similar to the Willow, usually identified by the song, which I didn’t make note of! Spofford NH, August 14, 2020

“Ubiquitous coot?”
I refute you in part!
Yes I am omnipresent,
but I ain’t an ole fart!

And while others might duck out,
or give Canadian goose,
let us not grebe for mergansers,
nor trade in wigeons for moose!

1 Like

Meet Ricardo the Cowbird
Crabapple Islets, Brooks Peninsula
Vancouver Island, BC
50 11’09”N 127 49’43”W

Ricardo took up with us for a couple of days while we were hanging out on the North Brooks. Cowbirds are orphans by design and seem to seek companionship. He showed up with us at our campsite and made a point of keeping the beach, our gear and my pants scrupulously free of bugs. He went somewhere at night and reported for duty as soon as we were up and about in the morning. He followed us down to the water’s edge and saw us off when we left. Stone little dude and I wish him well.

5 Likes

Jellyfish, I think a stinging nettle, while kayaking on the lower Chester River, MD, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay.

You do have a way with birds.

3 Likes

Popped up on FB today. Check your yak before jumping in!

2 Likes

That is one scary photo and why I put homemade soft/breathable hatch covers on all my kayaks once the sea worthy hatch covers are removed for storage. And, use a cockpit cover when on a voyage shore break. I don’t want a copperhead or bluejay nests (anymore) in my kayaks.

Thought to be a Solitary Sandpiper, the white eye ring strongly suggests it, and the legs weren’t very yellow.

Marlborough NH.

4 Likes

Great horned owl | Arizona

6 Likes

The Great Horned Owl
scowled down at me,
with his tufts a titter,
and blinked unpleasantly.

For his hunt from apex
had moment stunned in glare.
And to top off this two-legged bunny,
surely won’t bring him hare.