Wing VS Euro VS Stick

get one of each (use Craigslist if budget is tight)

I’m not a ‘fast’ paddler, yet I still enjoy using a Wing paddle occasionally.
I agree, the GP is easier to roll with, but I haven’t grown ‘attached’ to it for paddling (though, I tried Overstreets GP (4"blade) - may have to get one).

Wing is for racing - Euro is for cruising or lily dipping and a "stick"is for starting a fire !

@JackL said:
Wing is for racing - Euro is for cruising or lily dipping and a "stick"is for starting a fire !

I might just need a few old wooden Euro’s to get the carbon and epoxy started…HMMMM

Re the crack about firewood, many people find the GP (stick) to be an excellent solution for their paddling, as indicated above. Not everyone races.

Maybe someone should invent a Eurowinggp.

I’ve enjoyed the GPs that I’ve tried, but they’re one-piece, which makes them awkward to transport, so I rarely use my carbon Superior and can’t afford a two-piece.

My Epic Relaxed Tour full carbon meets the majority of my needs. Easier on the joints than all of the other Euros that I’ve tried and more than enough power for this wimpy (small engined & low power) paddler.

I have an Epic Small Mid Wing, but haven’t messed around with it much, since I mess around and go ziggy zaggy much more often than I try to go straight and the Euro and GP seem more intuitive to me than the wing, but I openly admit that I didn’t really try to get to know it or it’s ways.

@magooch said:
Maybe someone should invent a Eurowinggp.

The turducken of paddles…

@roym said:

@JackL said:

I might just need a few old wooden Euro’s to get the carbon and epoxy started…HMMMM

Roym. You made those carbon GP’s yourself? Just curious how much they weigh? I have a 2 piece Superior Carbon GP that is 22 ounces. Just wondering how weight wise your stack up. Have any video on how you make them? I would love to see any video if you have it.

I have had high end wings, Euros, and GP’s for many years. There are always some currents/winds where I paddle, so I have found it impossible, even with GPS, to determine which is most efficient. But most pleasant is to paddle with is the GP.

@dc9mm said:

@roym said:

@JackL said:

Roym. You made those carbon GP’s yourself? Just curious how much they weigh? I have a 2 piece Superior Carbon GP that is 22 ounces. Just wondering how weight wise your stack up. Have any video on how you make them? I would love to see any video if you have it.

Yes , I made these. The weight depends on which spigot system I used and whether the paddle is a 2 piece, or a 4 piece or a 5 piece or has a Lendal Padlok or an adjustable loom system …also some what on length and width. There are several different styles of Greenland Paddles in the picture. {and I think 5 different widths} If comparable size and length to the Superior paddle and using the same spigot system , Mine have been running about 3 oz heaver than the Superior paddle {so around 25 oz} I do have many that are also longer and with adjustable looms system and some run as heavy as 32 oz. No video of my process…just a home hobbyist.

As a side note 22 oz for a paddle the size Superior is making with a Lendal Padlok system is an amazing feat. To shave off those few oz is a very expensive endeavor. I am simply amazed that Mark has done this.

@roym said:
As a side note 22 oz for a paddle the size Superior is making with a Lendal Padlok system is an amazing feat. To shave off those few oz is a very expensive endeavor. I am simply amazed that Mark has done this.

And, at $575, a very expensive paddle. I wonder if shipping is extra.

For that price I’d like it personally delivered. Gift wrapped. At exactly the time and date of my choosing.

We still love our greenland paddles for touring. I made 2 paddles out of the same 2X8 piece of beautiful clear cedar in 2005 for myself and my wife for about 30 bucks total. They are 13 years old, and still going strong with some minor sanding and annual tung oil applications. They are pretty light and easy on the eyes too! `(https://d3s3k13islrvw7.cloudfront.net/original/2X/c/c8b461f0f344313f891c9f849cab6ace0bac2794.jpeg “”)

For comparison, I just weighed my wife’s old straight shaft, 2 piece, carbon shaft-carbon blade, Lendal Archipelago on the same scale at 34.6 oz. I think it retailed for about $300 in 1999. We use it as a spare. I couldn’t convince her to paddle with it by choice in any circumstances, and not just due to the weight. She claims her 26.1 oz gp “sings” to her when she is in the groove and who am I to disagree? Light paddles are nice.

For several people I paddle with, the reason they switched to a “skinny stick” is that the long gentle stroke is significantly easier on the shoulders. My wife was a hard-core European blade paddler until we got to the far end of a three mile paddle and her shoulder was bothering her enough that she wasn’t sure she would get back without a tow. I loaned her my paddle and by the time we got back her shoulder had stopped hurting. She hasn’t used a European blade since.

I travel at the same average speed with either one (based on many GPS logs) even though my Greenland blade has 3/4 the surface area of my EU blade. I attribute that to the longer blade (the tip is moving water faster), holding the blade at a slight angle so it’s flying rather than shoveling, and the longer stroke (more time in the water, less time switching sides). For sprinting out of a start the EU blade is superior. For long trips the gentle Greenland stroke lets me go farther with less effort.

For rolling there is no comparison. The shape of the paddle ensures that the blade automatically falls into the correct orientation. It is normal to slide your grip to the end of the blade for significantly more leverage. It’s just easier.

I have a older blog post where I shared my thoughts on GPs and wings at http://www.gregstamer.com/2012/02/12/greenland-paddle-wing-paddle .

Greg

@gstamer said:
I have a older blog post where I shared my thoughts on GPs and wings at http://www.gregstamer.com/2012/02/12/greenland-paddle-wing-paddle .

Interesting thoughts about how a GP is easier on the shoulders not due to the smaller blade, but due to the hand positions.

@Peter-CA said:

@gstamer said:

Interesting thoughts about how a GP is easier on the shoulders not due to the smaller blade, but due to the hand positions.

The Blade size and shape are also in play. Greg’s speaking about arm lift and the weight/work involved between the hand separation for a Wing vs a GP in a high angle stroke. The paddle shape also has a lot to do with the efficiency and cumulative fatigue for long distance paddling. And exactly where the paddle shape during the stroke is. As the stroke builds and the big muscles of the body are at their most efficient point {not stretched and extended} The Greenland paddle has reached it’s peak as far as blade in the water, thus not straining before the body is fully in the best position to exert least-stressful power. There is also a noticeable difference between the most efficient GP for distance, or the Quickest for sprinting, as far as fatigue and strain on parts of the paddlers body. Not all Greenland Paddles are the exact same shape.

A sprinting shape for a GP is different than a long distance cruising GP