Would you paddle a lake at 96°?

We are joining our kids and their families on a lake in the hottest area of the state this weekend. They have campers with AC and we have a room at the park motel.
I think we’ll be OK to paddle before noon and after 6.
Rookie, I’d send you 15° if I could.

Sure I would. I’d practice rolling a lot, too.

I’d be more worried about being on the road on Mem. Day Wkend.
Also, more worried about the lake infested with slightly (and more than slightly) inebriated operators of boats much bigger and faster than mine

(bring lots of water - maybe freeze water bottles the night before)

Early in the morning is cool and the drunks are mostly still sober. The problem is if you want young people to come along… they generally don’t do ‘sunrise start’ very well.

String you could send your excess heat our way. I have no idea if I would paddle at 96 degrees… Never seen that temp here at home…
Heck we haven’t even got to 69 this year… Water temp in the lake is 47… Air today is 59 degrees.

Sure ! I like the heat.
Nanci hates it, but just constantly dips her hat and dumps the water over herself.
In a tandem canoe, it slows us down, but I learned a long time ago if I want a good bow paddler just keep my mouth shut

Hey, string - we’re having a heat wave up here. 65F! Trees beginning to leaf out, wildflowers blooming. Doesn’t feel warm since the wind is steady at 20 and gusting to 35, but no complaints other than Lake Michigan water temp is 38.7F.

Paddling when it’s 96F? If it ever got that nightmarishly hot here, I’d head to the big lake since it’s always cooler on the water. Game changer would be if that horrid temp was accompanied by equally horrid humidity. I don’t handle heat and humidity gracefully.

Have a super time with your family!

This lake , Strom Thurmond, aka Clark’s Hill , is in the middle of nowhere; Back roads all the way . It is huge so not too worried about boat traffic.

On the water by 0800 off by 1100 hrs you’ll be ok. If there’s a lot of skiers, wake boats, jet skis , etc they go out at 10am.

@Overstreet said:
On the water by 0800 off by 1100 hrs you’ll be ok. If there’s a lot of skiers, wake boats, jet skis , etc they go out at 10am. Leave earlier. After 1800, 6pm should be good too but get in before dark if in a busy area.

We paddle those temps all summer. A paddle with breaks at swimming areas like “springs” is a good idea. Wear “tech” clothing and get it wet. Wet your hat. Wear a hat and sun glasses.

Looks like a nice destination string.

People were swimming in Lake Michigan this evening down here, or at least wading.

Sure! At 28 degrees latitude, summer lasts awhile. We just go early and prefer the shady runs to the open waters.

@TomL said:
Looks like a nice destination string.

People were swimming in Lake Michigan this evening down here, or at least wading.

Wow. NOAA buoy hlnm4 reports water temp of 57.7F. I’d be wearing my drysuit.

Looks great for paddling.

Of course if the air is 96, what is the water temp.

@Overstreet said:

@Overstreet said:
On the water by 0800 off by 1100 hrs you’ll be ok. If there’s a lot of skiers, wake boats, jet skis , etc they go out at 10am. Leave earlier. After 1800, 6pm should be good too but get in before dark if in a busy area.

We paddle those temps all summer. A paddle with breaks at swimming areas like “springs” is a good idea. Wear “tech” clothing and get it wet. Wet your hat. Wear a hat and sun glasses.

That manner of dress is a given although a loose cotton shirt has its’ place.

They were calling for it to be 100, but now calling for partly cloudy and mid 90s. Water Temp 77-78. It’s been dry lately so not real humid.

@Overstreet said:

@Overstreet said:

I am a big fan of cotton twill loose shirts… As a matter of fact when I go to Florida I seek a shirt that has a mix of cotton and nylon… Wets well evaporates fast but hard to find now… And my grungy cotton TIlley… hat.
This last winter it got to 87 for a couple of weeks every day… Too hot for me to paddle especially with matching humidity… We ran home early to roll in the snow.

Man it has been windy! Another day of 30 mph winds but it might make it to 60 degrees. The temps are fine though getting in the boat in the water is a little chilly…but the winds funnel something wicked

Down’easters seldom in Atlantic wince.
Icy water’s never needed for the chilly countenance,

Yoopers May (or not) in Michigan splash their wheres,
though they’re never quite August with Superior airs,

Ole south’ners boil their peanuts sometimes atmospherically.
“Nevermind 'at heat nor gators it’s the damn humidity!”

Paddle a lake at 96?
Well just gettin to that number requires 3-decades of doctor’s tricks!
Oh. I see you’ve circled round to bring us nth degree.
Being I’m a shady character think I’ll gunkhole neath bank trees.

@canoeswithduckheads said:
Down’easters seldom in Atlantic wince.
Icy water’s never needed for the chilly countenance,

Yoopers May (or not) in Michigan splash their wheres,
though they’re never quite August with Superior airs,

Ole south’ners boil their peanuts sometimes atmospherically.
“Nevermind 'at heat nor gators it’s the damn humidity!”

Amen!!!