@castoff said:
Paddle a lake at 98
makes one sweat
make no mistake.
Swim with gators in a lake.
Beat the heat
but gators eat!
:slight_smile:

Maybe a man named Moses is needed here. If not so much for parting lake waters and drowning Egyptian armies, then perhaps for parting gators, or at least their skulls, with a stump.

“Left arm clean right up to the elbow!”

What did the croc say to Captain Hook?

Give me a hand.

What did the gator say to the person walking a dog?

Give me a pet.

Believe it or not, frequently during the Yukon River canoe races (440 mile and 1000 mile), temperatures that far north in the interior can approach 90F. During the 1000 mile one year, we crossed north of the Arctic Circle at 90 degrees F, while paddling at race speed. You dip your hat to soak it in the water (it is always very cool around 40F) and press on.

@yknpdlr said:
Believe it or not, frequently during the Yukon River canoe races (440 mile and 1000 mile), temperatures that far north in the interior can approach 90F. During the 1000 mile one year, we crossed north of the Arctic Circle at 90 degrees F, while paddling at race speed. You dip your hat to soak it in the water (it is always very cool around 40F) and press on.

I worked portage crews some years back in northern Ontario… In forest fire areas the sun reflecting off the rocks made the ambient air temp close to 100 degrees… However it was a very quick dip still in the lake which was not even 50 degrees.
I felt like wilting in Fairbanks in 2017. However it was only 83, You see the sun was directly overhead. Not at an angle. It was early July. Last year in Iceland when the sun finally came out it was pleasant walking in the Westfjords. Temps about 70. It could have been warmer but we were surrounded by snowfields.

@yknpdlr said:

The highs are in the 90’s.
The permas off the frost.
The caribou sink in a goo,
sub-arctic subs for lost.

Some Inuit ain’t into it.
Fur seal bikinis itch.
Best dare not bare where once grizzed bear,
dined hirsute or sans stitch.

We’re here. 95 at 6 pm but very dry.

@string said:

I hate you.
48 at six pm. Wearing fleece

@kayamedic said:

@string said:

I hate you.

That’s chilly. Got ten degrees on you. 58F at 8 pm, strong easterly. thunder storms forecast. Fleece and flannel bed sheets are the best.

Rookie—totally agree that flannel sheets are the best. Had the Old English Sheepie clipped back for the 1st time this spring—poor guy keeps looking for the warm spots to lay in.

@Yooper16

He needs a fleece jacket!

From that look of sheared disgust he is probably thinking “I’ve been Fleeced!”

Our dog used to look embarrassed for a day or two after shearing.

@Rookie said:

@kayamedic said:

@string said:

I hate you.

That’s chilly. Got ten degrees on you. 58F at 8 pm, strong easterly. thunder storms forecast. Fleece and flannel bed sheets are the best.

At 6pm here it was 95°. We were all outside eating dinner and not moving any more than necessary.

String----- when I first saw your post thought is was age 96 not 96 degrees.
The high temps and humidity are much of the reason we are willing to put up with northern MI winters. In winter you can put on more clothes— in the summer you can only remove so many clothes before embarrassment or laughter ensues.

The sheepie will pout for about a week. Both sheepies, that we have been possessed by, act/acted the same way.

Paddling at 96 degrees sure beats paddling at 36, 26, 16 or -6 degrees; all of which I’ve done.
Get hot?
Pull over, sit in the shade, rehydrate, take a dip, chill out for while & then get after it again.
No problem.

Ideal temp for me is anything between 70 and 90 degrees.

BOB

I know I’ve gone paddling when it was 107 degrees away from the water, but out on the water it’s generally about 15–20 degrees cooler.

@Yooper16 said:
String----- when I first saw your post thought is was age 96 not 96 degrees.
The high temps and humidity are much of the reason we are willing to put up with northern MI winters. In winter you can put on more clothes— in the summer you can only remove so many clothes before embarrassment or laughter ensues.

The sheepie will pout for about a week. Both sheepies, that we have been possessed by, act/acted the same way.

My son, the almost vet, tells me that shaving a herding dog’s undercoat isn’t supposed to be good for them. We have a Bishon/ Jack Russell and she gets shaved.

This morning there were several paddle craft about at 10:30. Tomorrow morning my daughter and I are going out.

@string said:
This morning there were several paddle craft about at 10:30. Tomorrow morning my daughter and I are going out.

95+ now and we’re hiding in the AC. Back out at 6. I grew up and worked in this heat for years. On a day like this in basic training, we had a march in combat gear. Had 50 people fall out. The guy carrying the radio was right behind me. I heard a noise and he was laying in a ditch, passed out.
We are in the Military Heat Band that starts in Georgia (Fort Gordon, Fort Benning), goes through Columbia (Fort Jackson) and up into NC( Fort Bragg). The government probably got the land cheap.
There is a cabin here that was built by the Hueganots(SP) in 1770.