Would you paddle a lake at 96°?

We are actually wearing a short sleeve t-shirt----OUTSIDE. Don’t know the temperature as afraid that looking may jinx it.

String–re shaving-- there is definite differing views on this. The lady we got the sheepie as a pup from does herding and confirmation with hers. She also shaves hers down that aren’t in competition.

On the way home from the lake.

@Yooper16 said:
We are actually wearing a short sleeve t-shirt----OUTSIDE. Don’t know the temperature as afraid that looking may jinx it.

String–re shaving-- there is definite differing views on this. The lady we got the sheepie as a pup from does herding and confirmation with hers. She also shaves hers down that aren’t in competition.

Just what my son said. He has always been a bit of a know it all and now he’s a PhD. In microbiology.

Our lake at 7pm; 94°.

Looks like a nice place. An inch of rain fell last night then the temp rose to 75F this afternoon. Wore my drysuit as I moved my boat down to the lake and had to walk back to my car in waist-deep water. Way too hot paddling over but the drysuit was perfect for the walk back.

Turned on the “air conditioning” by installing window screens and opening the windows! :slight_smile:

did my ‘Saturday 40’ on the St Johns (FL) Sat.
started with temp’s in the 70’s (early, early), finished with the temps creeping over 90 (just before noon).
long paddles in the winter are a lot less tiring than paddles in the summer.

I’d practice rolling or other wet work - on my left side more swimming - at 96 degrees. Serious paddling not so likely.

I have never done heat well and that isn’t getting any better as I age. Plus the boats I can roll or at least static brace in are among the heavier of my boats to get out of the water and back onto a rack or a car. So by the time the boats are racked I have defeated the point of the wet work.

We did not paddle yesterday but hiked with a group. It got to 74… We all grumbled about the heat… sort of… We all said it felt HOT… Not used to this sort of stuff… Water temp is 56… Only small children are going in to swim…
OOH and the Blackflies are SOO having a party.

Ugh Blackflies! I had a Canadian tell me that those drier sheets you add to a load of clothes pinned to the back of a hat helped to ward them off. Is there any truth to that?

Just got in from a morning paddle. Nice little breeze . 91 at take out. Saw some osprey and geese with goslings.
Could have rented boats.

@castoff said:
Ugh Blackflies! I had a Canadian tell me that those drier sheets you add to a load of clothes pinned to the back of a hat helped to ward them off. Is there any truth to that?
I’ve heard that dryer sheets work to keep mice out of cabins, but also heard not to wear anything perfumey if you don’t want to attract bugs. Try it, at least you wont have mice hanging on you.

LOL

@yknpdlr said:

@castoff said:
I’ve heard that dryer sheets work to keep mice out of cabins, but also heard not to wear anything perfumey if you don’t want to attract bugs. Try it, at least you wont have mice hanging on you.

Well, if I did it the sneezing would keep something away.

@castoff
Try a Permethrin spray on your hat and clothing. On my face I use a plant-based lemon eucalyptus spray, which has been effective against other biting bugs.

@Rookie said:

I appreciate the advice. I use or have used powdered sulfur, Permethrin, headnets, bug suits, DEET, thermacell, citronella candles and coils, and plant based sprays. I don’t like skin so soft on my skin so won’t use it. I have dealt with biting insects all my life. Always looking for any new thing that works which I don’t have to apply to my skin. I don’t live where blackflies are a problem, but have been to places were they are. Since the Canadian couple told me about the drier sheets I have been curious if it actually works.

@castoff said:

@Rookie said:

Since the Canadian couple told me about the drier sheets I have been curious if it actually works.

https://lifehacker.com/bounce-fabric-softener-keeps-mosquitoes-and-gnats-away-5721187

The comments are interesting. One guy tried the dryer sheets to repel mice. The mice used them in their nesting material.

:slight_smile: Thanks Rookie! Duh I should of thunk of doin’ a search!! Yes I think they said Bounce at the time I spoke with them. I’ll have to give it a try. I guess it might also work on white fly in the garden too.

I forgot to add that baby oil or any type of oil on the skin and hair will keep no-see-ems off. My Grandfather in south FL would paint the window screens with oil to keep them out of the house before AC.

On another subject, we are done for the day. I flopped on the bed and something smelled really rank.
Castoff wasn’t here and I realized it was me. I am now washed and smelling much better.

@Rookie said:

@castoff said:

@Rookie said:

Since the Canadian couple told me about the drier sheets I have been curious if it actually works.

https://lifehacker.com/bounce-fabric-softener-keeps-mosquitoes-and-gnats-away-5721187

The comments are interesting. One guy tried the dryer sheets to repel mice. The mice used them in their nesting material.

Bet they were good smelling mice.

@string said:
On another subject, we are done for the day. I flopped on the bed and something smelled really rank.
Castoff wasn’t here and I realized it was me. I am now washed and smelling much better.

LOL, mabye he’ll show up with a bounce in his step and a Bounce in his hat.