Would you want to follow this down the highway?

I’ve seen some ludicrous rigs for hauling boats but this one takes the cake. I’m imagining the motorist entering the bank drive-through or passing under a railroad overpass.

I suspect the highway constabulary would take issue with this. Don’t see any indication the boats are attached to anything but each other.

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/spo/d/kayak-hauler/6674774167.html

My concern would be the aerodynamics. I have seen similar setups on RV’s. In about a month the migratory snowbirds start arriving down south. I have seen some interesting setups.

At least most RV pilots are aware of the height of their vehicles. Not all, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsfuIP5Npc&t=25s&frags=pl%2Cwn

Looks like the perfect target for a cross wind. Lever arm.

Motor homes and fifth wheels really have no other way to carry kayaks unless they have a toad
And I never see them carry sea kayaks. That’s why we use a trailer
We can put 17 foot kayaks on the truck
We know parking garages are verboten

I wouldn’t even drive it down the road.

@Yanoer said:
I wouldn’t even drive it down the road.

I agree… that angle is a powerful lever for failure.

I don’t even carry my surf rods in the holders off the beach.

We stayed at an RV campground outside of Washington DC some years ago where I spotted a Class A diesel pusher (one of those giant bus-like motorhomes like rock bands take on tour) that had a Tahe Greenland sea kayak and a 16’ fishing SOT on the roof (and he was towing a BMW sedan). Turned out the guy who owned the motorhome was a traveling construction engineer who lived aboard the thing while working on projects around the country. Neither boat looked used, so I wondered if it was just a status thing. He was very pleased when I recognized the Tahe but admitted he had yet to take it out anywhere.

Folding kayaks are a pretty good option for hauling in motorhomes. Or this (which was my rig until I sold the RV a few weeks ago, still have the long tongue trailer.)

Many years ago in Alaska we got a thirty mile shuttle up the Yukon river from a guy with an old beat up car. His roof rack was two 2"x4"s laid across the roof and just held by rope running through the windows. He tied our two 17’ yaks to the boards and drove the 30 mile bumpy gravel road and they never moved the whole way.
Maybe we over think our high end roof racks !

We are creative here in South Carolina!

And I thought some of the trailer hitch cargo boxes/platforms were bordering on ridiculous…

Yes, but it should be great for harvesting low hanging tree branches and low flying birds.

@willowleaf said:
Folding kayaks are a pretty good option for hauling in motorhomes. Or this (which was my rig until I sold the RV a few weeks ago.

Forget diesel, that one runs on FLOWER POWER, BABY!

I’d come up with some other 60’s & 70’s things to say, but that is so way before my time. :wink:

@Sparky961 said:

@willowleaf said:
Folding kayaks are a pretty good option for hauling in motorhomes. Or this (which was my rig until I sold the RV a few weeks ago.

Forget diesel, that one runs on FLOWER POWER, BABY!

I’d come up with some other 60’s & 70’s things to say, but that is so way before my time. :wink:

“Far out”

@kayamedic said:
Motor homes and fifth wheels really have no other way to carry kayaks unless they have a toad

There are ways to work around it if you’re inclined. Back in 2005 or so we took a trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons with out Dodge 2500 Cummins and 27’ 5th wheel. We also hauled 3 sea kayaks in the 15-17’ range. I need to dig up the pics, but I think I used standard Thule mounts/bars on the cab. I then built a 2" receiver that mounted under the tow hooks in the front bumper, into which I installed a Goalpost mount. It was a bit of a pain to load them but worked well for about 2K total miles.

High Desert 's configuration works you just have to put up with stuff in your vision range.

Here’s another version: https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/custom-kayak-racks/6639080110.html

Ever back up into a berm , ditch or parking spot with curb or dirt rise and hit it with the bumper?

I once left the house towing the fishing boat with rigged rods upright in the rod holders. When I got to the ramp two rods were missing plugs and all the line. I had hooked trees on the way out of the neighborhood.