Boats on cars - let’s see ‘em!

Picked up a used KayakSport Artisan Millennium earlier today. It’s not perfect, but it’s in good shape as are the hatch covers. Bungees and deck lines will get replaced this week. I should sell 2 or 3 soon to have covered storage for my fleet.

It has good bones, weighs 51-52 lbs, two spray skirts I already have fit, and the seller was so motivated when I didn’t ask to buy it right there, he volunteered a much lower price that was significantly less than a CF paddle. How could I not go home with this new-to-me kayak? Is there a 12 Step program for buying kayaks?

4 Likes

Melker Rodloga that’s been living on my Subie for the last several weeks. Fortunate to be in a place where launching in Lake Michigan for a couple hours on a whim is easy to do.

3 Likes

The Zephyr and Tarpon just back from the beach.

1 Like

3 Likes

2 Likes

This is my 20’ Wenonah Minnesota 3 on my 2013 Tundra. I use the Yakima Longarm with extension on the back. I can carry 2 canoes with this setup.

5 Likes

Question: That looks like two Hullavators. What is the length of your bars?

(I have a vehicle on order which will be taller than my current car and will probably need more help to get our two touring kayaks up there.)

They are 53 1/8 inches. They are the Aero style bars. We have had them for quite a few years and have had no issues with them. When we pull the hullivators down we had to be a bit careful so they didn’t bang up against the truck.

Lila

My 2019 Toyota Chr w/2020 tsunami 14.0

5 Likes

1 Like

There is also the option of “boats in cars”. This is a 13’ 8" Curtis Lady Bug and 15’ Venture Easky LV stashed inside my converted Penske 16’ box van camper (with the full sized Murphy bed folded up to the wall). There are two additional kayaks in there as well, a 15’ 9" Feathercraft Wisper folder and 13’ 6" Pakboat Quest 135, both shoved in the shower stall (behind the curtain at left) in their duffel bags. I have had as many as 4 hard shell boats and 3 collapsed folders in the camper at once.

I do strap the boats securely in place for travel via Thule straps run through large eyebolts set in the truck floor. Having a kayak come from behind through the windshield in a panic stop would be unpleasant.

7 Likes

I saw this one on the highway this morning :laughing:

4 Likes

Yikes!

Maybe they were expecting a rollover. They have 2 straps on it.

I think Necky called that the “dolphin bow”. Rides right over those waves.

1 Like

I look at that I can only see an mpg number. It is not high.

2 Likes

Trailers too?

4 Likes

Here’s a boat on a car, more boats above a car, plus a trailer next to the car.

3 Likes

I acquired 3 new red “things” over the last few months.

5 Likes

Do you have front or side-curtain air-bags on the passenger side?

If so, given any thought to where that kayak’s going if they inflate?