Boats on cars - let’s see ‘em!

Here’s the opposite. Not quite on the car but getting there.

3 Likes

Did you say “Boats IN Cars”?

5 Likes

Probably my forever kayak (unless I get a “skin-on-frame” someday), and at 200K+, starting to think it’s my forever truck.

7 Likes

Good choices

Great pic @Monkeyhead. Got Rocker? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha. I’m a rocker and a roller, and so is my boat!

Truth be told - it’s rarely out in the sort of conditions where that type of design excels, but it does fine on the usually placid waters in which it finds itself, has other attributes I value, and does inspire confidence on the rare occasion when I really need a sea-worthy craft.

3 Likes

I might have mentioned this before in discussions of the Grand Illusion but my paddling buddy used to be an NDK diehard. He had a Poseidon, 2 Romanys and an Explorer. The Explorer was his main squeeze. He demoed a GI and it was all over. He sold his Explorer, Poseidon and one Romany to get a GI. He has never, ever looked back and due to the superior rough water performance of the GI his on-water photography made a quantum leap in quality. That boat sits so well in ragged water that he gained an immediate comfort in letting go, letting the boat take care of him and focusing on capturing his desired image.

In the day of fascination with speed the Sterling boats won’t impress that crowd but by sacrificing some efficiency for maneuverability and seaworthiness in crap water they are, in my personal opinion the most enjoyable boats for me to spend my time in.

3 Likes

Here is my new baby, loaded and ready to go!

2 Likes

Took the Venture Easky 15 out today. On Kayak Wing cradles.

3 Likes

Our Tarpon 140’s on Thule Hullivators and Thule aero bar racks.

Yesterday, aclient came from FL to properly accessorize her Prius with a new P&H Virgo LV. Now she’s ready for vacation!

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

2 Likes

I was trying to remember if I had seen a post from aclient…

Feelfree Gemini and Aventura 140 on Yakima JetStream bars with a Yakima JayLow cradle.

I would actually love some feedback - relatively new to putting the new boat on the car. I was tempted to move it forward so the back strap isn’t over the coaming, but it felt like it was too weighted to the front that way.

I don’t think having the rear strap go over the coming would cause any harm. But my preference would be to move the kayak forward just a little so the rear strap ends up pressed right against the front of the backrest. That way, the kayak is restrained from sliding forward if you make a sudden stop. Your forward tie down line will keep the kayak from sliding backwards, but currently only the friction of the cradles and straps keeps it from slding forward.

What type of cradles is your boat resing on? Perhaps it’s the angle/shadows, but it looks like the rear rack is putting extreme pressure on the hull and ‘caving’ it in. Not a good idea on a Thermoformed boat.

1 Like

I, too, hope that is an optical distortion/aberration!

That’s why I always run my bow line reward to a line tied around the hood hinges. The boat can’t move forward. I do the same with the rear, the boat can’t move backwards.

1 Like

I just have Thule surf pads over the bars. To be honest I am not sure if the hull is caving or if it is the angle of photo. It may very well be caving - I am terrified of having the boat come off the car but probably need to take better care not to over tighten? Or purchase cradles I guess, but just having the pads makes it much easier for me to slide the boat on the car myself.

1 Like

What vehicle is that?