Boats on cars - let’s see ‘em!

@Steveey it looks like you were asking about my vehicle that I posted with my Venture Easky 15 above. It’s a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander SE with factory racks (which are actually Thule Aerobars and foot packs.) I liked the relatively flat roof and the fact that the rack feet bolt directly to the roof of the car with 2 bolts each. It currently has ~47K miles on it and has been a good car. I drive a ton of miles for work and prefer to keep my vehicles on the less expensive side, and like them to get good fuel economy.

As mentioned, the hull appears to be squashed flat on the rear crossbar - I think cradles are called for.

1 Like

Thanks everyone - going to look into getting some cradles!

1 Like

I haul my green Easky (“Snow Pea”) inverted on a Mazda CX-5 (behind the 18’ SOF), as you do with your WW boat. The coaming fits snugly between the crossbars (Thules clamped to the factory lateral bars) and I feel it makes the load more aerodynamic, secure from any high G ejection and also prevents the boats from getting full of rain on long trips (which for me often involves long stretches in the Great Lakes storm zones.) Also lets me keep an eye on whether they are shifting since the bows are visible from the driver’s seat. But you may not have enough clearance for that with the touring boats.

1 Like

I prefer to haul boats in that manner on the top rack of my trailer and it does provide some advantages. Unfortunately, the bars on my Outlander are fixed at ~30 inches so it doesn’t quite work out. I’ve been able to do it with the 2-piece cradles since you can move them far enough apart, but most wing-style cradles don’t allow for it.

Spring 2021!!! Man’s best friend

2 Likes

5 Likes

2 on top and 1 in the bed :sleeping_bed:. Lotsa room for gear and paddlers. Once you go capped truck, it’s hard to go back.

5 Likes

Magalloway Rd, Pittsburg NH

3 Likes

On our way for a 600 mile move. Two kids in the car, two slipstream canoes on the roof

2 Likes

Every Car Looks Better With A Boat On Top!

3 Likes

Petrel Plays on red cars!

5 Likes

Hmmm…what material is that Petrel Play made out of, eh? :thinking:

High_Desert, the Petrel Play is carbon.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

Depends upon what you ordered.

1 Like

My Romany Surf on my Volvo XC-70 station wagon. Orcas Island…

2 Likes

My XC-70 is a 2007 model with just 65K miles. Now sadly discontinued. I love this car! SUVs killed the station wagon. But for a kayaker this kind of wagon rules! Lower roof which makes fiddling with your boat easier. Longer body which makes for a more supportive platform. And more cargo space. The seats on this car are super comfy. Perfect road trip vehicle for a kayaker…

3 Likes

1 Like