Demographics . Haven't done it in awhile

Pcom name is my name backwards. Used to be known for many years as thebob.com…can’t remember why I changed?
Where am I? South Central Missouri

Type of water paddled. Paddled whitewater (loved class III) in the not so distant past. New favorite is class II. No way I’d ever paddle on ocean, and dead water lakes I find boring. Love playing around on the Nantahala river in North Carolina.
My favorite partner is my wife of 42 years.
I taught her how to paddle tandem, then solo, and she has now been soloing for about 20 years.
I have been paddling since I was a teenager; would guesstimte mileage covered, about 11,000 plus miles.

My avatar: Have always been interested in pirates, and treasure.

I’m ex Canoeing, Swiftwater Rescue, Lifeguard, and Water Safety Instructor. Also Caving, and Cave Rescue Instructor, Wilderness First Responder, and Fire Dept. Search and Rescue Instructor. Worked with Boy Scouts as volunteer Instructor for 3 years; did 2 week backpacking expedition with scouts at Camp Philmont in New Mexico. Graduate of National Outdoor Leadership School’s Outdor Educator course ( 3 week backpacking in Wyoming’s Big Horn Mountain’s expedition).

Ex Missouri State Probation/Parole officer, and Rehabilitaion Counselor. 12 year U.S. Army/Military Police/Drill Instructor/3 tours Viet Nam.

Other interests: Collect modern first edition books, pistol target shooting, motorcycling, vintage movie posters reproducing vintage toys and whirligigs

Current River 2019 40 years together

5 Likes

Whoops hoo glitchbob, I’ll keep going as long as you do!!!

An inspiring guy! I don’t think you have enough interests.

Blackthumb - John
Location - Central Vt
Water Type - Flat water
Kayak
Age - 84
Experience - 7 yrs or-- 1 year 7 times
Ready to trade it all in for a nice rocking chair and worry beads for the back porch!

2 Likes

I have interest; I’m losing the ability.

Some people also have more talent, which I don’t claim.

I’ve got the chair right by the back porch. Worry beads?

I put the chair in the canoe and the view is much nicer than the back porch. Lots of people pass me and that’s ok. I lost the worry beads when I exited the rat race a few years ago.

I like it when someone passes me and they ask is that hot coffee you’re drinking?

1 Like

Gitchellbob, I apologize for two auto check spellling errors in my post. The biggest was the botch of your name, the second was Whoo hoo! Meaning I’m impressed by your skill and dedication to what you do in everything. I almost stopped kayaking from wear, but my sister is six years older and still out there. No reason I should give up either. Needed to correct it so you didn’t misinterpret. Sorry.

String,
Didn’t mention I mess around with a couple of black powder rifles on occasion, occasionally practice with my longbow, and collect limited edition prints of eary American Indians, Mountain men, and wildlife. Also collect vintage Rock and Roll LPs, and CDs.

I was a “picker” long befor the American Pickers on tv.
Helped pay my way thru college “picking” collectibles, and antiques. Have recently gotten into restoring old axes, and hatchets.

Gotta keep movin’ or you’ll freeze up!!!

3 Likes

Good strategy. Message to us is don’t quit.

Where are you?: Southwest Florida for the last 4 years, originally Chicago then Wisconsin for awhile.
Kayak or canoe?: Kayak for the last 20 or so years, canoe before that. I was tired of trying to get that really heavy Grumman on the roof and Lake Michigan did not like me.
Type of water?: Flat, river, calm coastal.
Years paddling? See above
Handle: We used to own an Airstream so my wife gave me that name.

1 Like

Where: N. Wisconsin
Canoe or Kayak: Both (Bell Rob Roy)
Water: Flat
Years: 16 (after a long layoff)
Origin of handle: ND Exit 314, I-94 (just struck my fancy)

1 Like

Wow OK, didn’t see this thread before! The topic of attracting a new generation has come up in another thread one could say… :flushed: Sorry about all that if it was too much. It just would be nice to kayak with someone roughly my own age so we can talk about our young kids and the high cost of housing :laughing:

Anyway here goes for me

Name Daniel
Age 35
Location Seattle, WA
Kayak or canoe Kayak
Type of water Mostly lakes so far, and a few protected bays
Years paddling? Honestly 0. It’s hard to include years where I rented a kayak 0-2 times but did not learn much at all about it. If the question is about when I first paddled a kayak, it was probably when I was a teenager so it would be 20 years or so.

Would think it a fun exercise to ingest user data from the site into a program and have it output demographic charts. It does have privacy implications though, and it relies on enough people putting their personal information into their profiles.

1 Like

Welcome and just don’t say anything you think is private and personal. If you aren’t having a good time yet, go down and look at the posts one at a time. You can probably fond every question and answer you ever wanted.

I made this from responses in the thread. I am withholding all further commentary on this chart.

1 Like

Lotta wisdom right there. Just not so many teeth. :wink:

3 Likes

I could have been lying and the underlying data is distribution of age at retirement in the US. I guess people my age just go out on the water with minimal information. Granted, I did that x number of times before coming onto this forum.

1 Like

So did I. Got a kayak and paddle and hit the water. Lots of natural lessons since then.

1 Like

I think this chart needs a big *.

It is in fact, a chart of the ages of the pcom users who responded to the question, which is a small minority of the total users and because of self-selection is most definitely not a random sample. I would suggest the actual average age of all users is quite a bit lower than that chart indicates.

p.s. Have you ever read “How to lie with statistics”?