Last post. By

He’s supposedly gone and the comments keep coming. That is a bit strange.

1 Like

I am pretty sure l am what l say… And know some of the others who have weighed in.

What made this one unusually notable was the quantity of misdirection he produced. Motive is not entirely out of line as a topic. Especially if someone is sitting home because the local rivers are overloaded with water again from another huge wet weather system. Even been a question mark I’m upstate NY this summer. Parts or all of Erie Canal has been closed for a couple days at a stretch.

Oh Dear Datakoll!

Pammy has grown up?

1 Like

Some people are very direct in their messages on forums.
I have the same problem, but I am not leaving because there are some smart and experienced people on here.

1 Like

That person really confused me.

2 Likes

I think I know who he is. From Europe and was using automated chat generation to create threads as a joke. He’s actually not a bad person and has lots of interesting hobbies including kayaking and being weird on the internet. He posted here using two screen names, both stopped posting at the same time. I had been talking with him about getting together and paddling when I made a trip a few years ago and asked about “datakoll” didn’t deny it was him.

1 Like

Sounds right. I always thought DataKoll was someone who had English as a second language and was truly unclear at times about why his stuff was so confusing. I don’t recall that he was ever nasty or anything. I just rarely if ever could decipher his stuff well enough to reply.

1 Like

I don’t see how it productive to talk about members who aren’t present.

2 Likes

Nothing about this post is productive, so why not reminisce.

2 Likes

I enjoyed SOTconvert’s posts. He at times pushed people’s buttons, but that was nothing compared to what I endure in my own family. I don’t talk behind someone’s back unless its practicing new material for when I see them again. I’m here to learn information about kayaking.

One post mentioned people being conspicuously absent from posts. There’s a reason for that. The pack is selectively sorting out who belongs and who doesn’t.

It’s free to talk and I can’t paddle today :joy:

I think he’s looking in and will be back as toner than later.

I don’t enjoy posts from a person who targets and attacks others, discounts the generous advice provided from many, many years of experience, and actively trolls for controversy. I find it strange that anyone would.

4 Likes

“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them and then destroy yourself.”

-Richard Nixon

(OR:)

“You won’t have SOTconvert to kick around anymore!”

Sniff-sniff.

4 Likes

Hey! Ya just never know? I mean, maybe the man has a fine estate on the San Clemente beach and, after a few months of sunny, introspective walks on the sand, tugging along Checkers at the end of the leash, he’ll be tan, rested, and ready to post in 2022.

There’s an old, paddle board,
or maybe it’s busted surfski.
It serves as a bench,
in some post, infamy,
waiting room, of return,
for doctored cyber-aware.
Sunken Pamlicos, and spilt Coffee,
transfixed by long pixel stare.

2 Likes

Come on guys we can get this thread to 100 posts if we try.

I don’t think SOT came here to stir the pot at first he was like many of us looking for some advice and to learn some stuff about boats that were new to him. I agree he has an abrasive side and is opinionated as to what he believes. On the other hand the forum also has a bias around some boats as can be seen in the long running (I’m prejudiced. Apparently not alone) thread and quite a few others I could list.

This place inclusive to a degree of rec-boaters and to a degree it isn’t. That’s just my opinion of a person new here and little need for more than a rec-boat.

I called SOT out the other day telling him I was no longer reading his posts. So I’m not a fan but again IMO the forum members should also rethink the full range of paddlers that are out there and how they relate to them. There are a huge number of people out there that need a lot of help. In general I feel they would be reluctant to spend a lot of time here. :canoe:

1 Like

I do agree Pru, but we all have a distinct personality. I feel obliged to make my case. It doesn’t matter if someone disagrees. We can argue the merits of features, but I won’t argue whether you need perimeter deck ropes or bulkheads. A boat with them is better set up. It’s like saying you don’t need a jack and spare tire in your car. I won’t engage that. I hate to say it, but if we all agree, we’d probably never learn. Being challenged should help us consolidate our thoughts. I do understand your view. I like being challenged, but don’t like being shut down. I know he was digging at me, but some of his posts got me and actually changed my perspective. I don’t care about his motive. I feel improved, and feel thankful that I got “punked”. Got to appreciate each other for the contribution, not for the negative.

1 Like

Very accurate, it becomes very “no true Scotsman”, e.g. no true paddler could be satisfied with a rec boat or SUP or…

That aside, if people feel that someone is trying to stir the pot, why not simply walk away? It just feeds the beast.

3 Likes

I think there’s a Jimmy Buffet song in there

1 Like

Devil went down to Georgia Kayaker,
He was lookin’ for some Spam to steal,
“I’ll bet a pound of Beanie-Weenie gold
Against your hole
That the Pamilico Kid is real.”

The goy said, "My name’s big Fat Elmo,
And it might be a sin,
But I’ll take your bet, and yer gonna regret,
The gray thing in cockpit therein.

(Of course, your cwdh lyrical verse has always been more original than mine.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes