Old sea kayak models (out of production)

Thought they started production again after it was sold?

1 Like
1 Like

I have fond memories of the RotoBATs we used for pool sessions at Stornoway Canoe Club: Pyranha Memories: The Rotobat » Pyranha Blog

Obviously long out of production now but those things were great for sliding off the pool edge into the deep end and feeling “bad-ass” :slight_smile:

Pictures? Please!

Necky started out in British Columbia prior to Johnson Outdoors buying Necky in 1998 and moving it to Washington State. Johnson Outdoors then moved Necky production to Maine in 2009 and shut down Necky production altogether in 2017 after previously discontinuing most of their sea kayaks in favor of play boats.

Johnson Outdoors owns Old Town Canoe and Ocean Kayak as well as Jetboil, Eureka!, Scubapro, and several lines of fishing accessories.

In addition to the above, they primarily offer rec boats and fishing boats, usually SOTs, all plastic. They have only three sea kayaks, again all in plastic. The longest of which is 14.5’ long and 56 lbs.

In theory, Johnson Outdoors will still honor Necky’s lifetime warranty, but no longer stocks many, if any, parts.

Mike Neckar (who started Necky) later became involved with Delsyk kayaks. Anybody know if Delsyk is still around?

https://www.delsyk.com/

I realize they still have a website and a current copyright, but I was looking for actual signs of life.

I recently purchased a used plastic Necky Chatham 17. I was quite interested in them when they came out but didn’t buy one at the time. I only have about 6 hours in it so far, but it’s a very competent kayak and certainly worth looking at if it checks your boxes.

I had a Swift sea kayak (Are we talking white water or touring?) that I was really happy with. Liked the styling too. I can’t remember the model name but I think it was a John Winters design.

I have a 1999 Arluk 1.9 in Kevlar, bought new. Unless I break it, it’s my boat for life. It does everything I want it to. 18’ x 22". A few thing could be improved, but all kayaks are a compromise.

1 Like

I have a couple of old Heritage roto sit on tops from circa 1999, a Nomad LP at 16 feet and an Expedition MK II at 17 feet. Both acquired used many years ago and still fast, fun boats for sit on tops.

2 Likes

NECKY PINTA
18’x28"(as I remember) Fiberglass -2 piece
Only kayak that could float me ( 6’2"x350# without voyaging gearand food ) Fast , I had to have something that could keep up with 2 Scouts in a canoe . I could store all my equipment and food for a week long trip . Just add water . :slightly_smiling_face: Sluggish in whitewater , but if an 18’ canoe could do it I followed . It was the only solo boat I ever paddled in the ocean , but that was when I realized it was in it’s element . Rudder with double chine bottom it was forgiving for a newbie . Sad to let it go but I lost my sense of balance .

2 Likes

Dagger Magellan was an excellent touring boat. Great storage, tracking, comfort and handling. Very durable. It weighed 62 lbs but once on the water it was an outstanding touring boat.

1 Like

Venture Easky 15 if you can find one. Relatively lightweight, lively hull compared to most in the category, simple but comfy outfitting. A straightforward boat with surprising handling characteristics, but extremely stable and easy to paddle.

edit it looks like @willowleaf mentioned this above, so I was double-dipping. :slight_smile:

The Nordkapp HM. Such a great kayak. On my second one at the moment, which I bought in 1985. The Ocean cockpit clearly puts some paddlers off. Paddle my Nordkapp LV more at the moment. Both are fast kayaks, great for open crossings. A couple of weeks ago I was given an Avocet RM, it is over 10 years old and in great condition. Its my go to kayak for rock hopping at the moment.
All excellent designs and quality construction.

Have Mariner Max - great boat!
Made to my specs, carbon/Kevlar. They didn’t like the way the first one looked, so made a second one and shipped it to CT. Great customer service and pride of product.

I had one of those old Magellans, bought for $400 as a loaner and “boyfriend boat” but paddled it a few times myself. It fit a surprising range of people, though several of the guys I put in it complained about the seat (never bothered me.) The only reason I sold it was the weight and the fact that I had to store it in my walkout basement and wrangling it out of there and up my steep yard and even a flight of steps to the street to load it was too much work. Now that I have a drive up boat barn/garage I kind of regret selling it. I did get $375 for it, pretty good deal for having used it for 5 years. The couple that bought it love it and both use it, switching off with their RM Capella. It was multi-colored swirl, blue white and purple so I named it “Jimi” since it resembled the sort of tie-dye I could imagine Hendrix wearing.

1 Like

Never hurts to have multiple kudos for a boat (the Easky). I’ve wondered if my ex boyfriend kept his – have thought of telling him to let me know if he ever decides to sell it. He bought a standard Easky 15 after borrowing my LV and loving it. At 5’ 8" and about 180 I thought the standard would be better for him (and used LV’s were rare). But maybe because he had mostly been a white water paddler until we got together, he liked the snugger fit and control he had in the lower volume one. I have had larger folks in the Easky LV as well (I often loan it when I am paddling one of my folders or SOF) and everybody has really liked that boat, from beginners to people with some skills.

I did talk one friend on the other end of the state into one but she unfortunately got a used one that seems to have a warped hull and won’t track. We know it’s not a skills problem because she has used my LV during visits here and it works perfectly for her.

While mourning the loss of certain models, as a folding boat aficionado I have to mention Feathercraft, who made the ne plus ultra of those craft before Doug Simpson closed down their Vancouver shop at the end of 2016, citing adverse economic conditions and “changing lifestyles”. The expeditionary K-1, K-2 and Kodiak, the nimble Wisper and Khatsalano, and the light, stable and seaworthy Kahuna and Java were all great boats and wonderfully portable. I would never sell my Wisper.

1 Like