Old sea kayak models (out of production)

IMG_5335

$5/year rental on that Magellan.

I like to compare my yaks to automobiles.

Valley Nordkapp, in carbon/Kevlar. My midlife crisis sports car.

Impex Assateague. My capable SUV that carries a ton, yet handles well and rolls easily.

Mariner Coaster. Always wanted one, luckily I just found a cream puff with the rear bulkhead/hatch and nary a scratch. I have been scratching my head for an automobile reference to no avail. But an Adventure Motorcycle is the closest I came. It will go anywhere, especially tight spots, and handles any weather related conditions.

1 Like

Mariner Escape…heavily loaded with 12 gauge shotgun and Sorel Feltpacs s of Sitka Alaska in October…and then in Baja…I don’t remember it being slow…just exceedingly seaworthy in all conditions.

Just bought a cream puff 2007 Wilderness Systems Tempest 180 pro…for $600 (!) other than the heavy weight probably better in every way than the Escape (and later Mariner MAX and Pygmys). This is my retirement boat and a keeper.

1 Like

Have had my yellow kevlar QCC 600 with rudder for 15 years now, still going strong, love it. Excellent, strong, very maneuverable, safe kayak. Have had it on Lk Superior & LK MI. Wouldn’t trade it,…was an excellent company in the beginning.

2 Likes

Greenland Double - skin on frame by Seavivor.
I have one for sale.

Just bought this Wilderness Systems Tempest 180Pro for $600 with CF paddles and skirts…they just don’t

make boats like this anymore. Good news for us is there is a plentiful supple of lightly used boats out there (and cheaper in Texas!)

6 Likes

Last last summer wanted to get into kayaking. Studied a bunch here and started searching for my first yak. Found composite Valley Avocet in purple (faded). Having a lot of fun with it on small lake. Just installed electric bilge pump for East Coast bay water after I learn more skills. Maybe I’ll get to use it tomorrow night during my first self rescue class.

1 Like

40898604_614

RIP NOMAD / EXTREME :sob::sob::sob:

4 Likes

you stole that set-up

This a reply to rstevens and my first post on Paddling.com.

I recently purchased a Necky Arluk 1.9 from its original owner. Your posts and the reviews on this website have been my only source of info. I was unfamiliar with Necky Kayaks or the Arluk line. But I am very happy with this kayak.

According to the serial number, it was manufactured in 1999. It is 18’ by 21.5" with a light blue deck and dark blue, hard hatch covers. I need to replace the neoprene hatch covers.

It was kept in a garage. The gelcoat is in good shape with some barely noticeable oxidation. I am polishing it with 3M Perfect-It light polish/wax and it looks like new.

I have taken it out twice. Glides, tracks very nicely. Looking forward to getting out with warmer weather.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy it. This is my forever boat both for big open water and smaller rivers and creeks. I’ve been paddling it for 22 years and find it a great boat for exploring areas that are too far for most boats. When I first started paddling, after a couple of years I was padding solo a lot and averaging over 30 miles a day. I’m a bit more antique now , married, and mostly paddling with others, but I can more than keep up with a group.

Moderate primary and secondary stability, but pretty stabile when kept moving. As with most Canadian built boats at the time, a very tough hull, but the Kevlar layup was only 45 lbs. with an 18’ boat. Tracks exceedingly well, a bit of an effort to turn it without a lot of edging. In most conditions really don’t need the rudder, but it’s nice to have if paddling a distance in stern quartering winds. You do lose a bit of waterline length with the upswept bow, but it does go through skim ice, unlike the QCCs or Epics.

If the original rigging, extending the grab lime all the way to the bow and stern is recommended.

Other than a few minor repairs to the hull gelcoat, the only semi-major repair was adding a layer of fiberglass to the inside of the hull where my heels were wearing though. That was after about 20 years and many thousands of miles.

3 Likes

I have a friend who has an Arluk from 1993. He sees no reason to buy a newer boat. Happy Paddling!

2 Likes

Hi folks

I’ve just joined the site for info and help on all things Sea Kayaking.

Can any tell me what make and model the white kayak is please as I can’t find any info via pictures of it on the Net. The yellow one I know is a Valley Nordkapp HM but the White one as 5 (1 side) lashing points up front. I have looked at many kayaking web sites but can’t see the boat to positively ID the make or model?

Please, if anyone can help with ID/and or a site for more info then please let me know.
Thanks to all
Snipes

??? huh

It’s the elusive and seldom seen Invisible Kayak

Will try to help. Though I suggest you post a link or a picture…

This was not a common boat here in the U.S, but I have a 1997 Buccaneer by North Shore. It’s hard chine, swede form, 17’ 4’ long and 21.5" wide, with some rocker, and a modified ocean cockpit. Holds lots of gear, easy to load, and is playful. Not the fastest but not slow either. Valley bought North Shore.

I have lusted after others, but when I try them have not found one, I like better. It handles both the rough and the flat well.

4 Likes

I had a Northshore Calypso of the same vintage, a bit longer than the associated specifications. I’ve cycled through a lot of kayaks and that’s one I maybe should have kept.

Nice!!! A good rockered longboat that surfs… Definitely piques my interest, whether new, middle aged or old. :slight_smile:

sing

2 Likes