Old sea kayak models (out of production)

IMG_5335

$5/year rental on that Magellan.

I like to compare my yaks to automobiles.

Valley Nordkapp, in carbon/Kevlar. My midlife crisis sports car.

Impex Assateague. My capable SUV that carries a ton, yet handles well and rolls easily.

Mariner Coaster. Always wanted one, luckily I just found a cream puff with the rear bulkhead/hatch and nary a scratch. I have been scratching my head for an automobile reference to no avail. But an Adventure Motorcycle is the closest I came. It will go anywhere, especially tight spots, and handles any weather related conditions.

1 Like

Mariner Escape…heavily loaded with 12 gauge shotgun and Sorel Feltpacs s of Sitka Alaska in October…and then in Baja…I don’t remember it being slow…just exceedingly seaworthy in all conditions.

Just bought a cream puff 2007 Wilderness Systems Tempest 180 pro…for $600 (!) other than the heavy weight probably better in every way than the Escape (and later Mariner MAX and Pygmys). This is my retirement boat and a keeper.

1 Like

Have had my yellow kevlar QCC 600 with rudder for 15 years now, still going strong, love it. Excellent, strong, very maneuverable, safe kayak. Have had it on Lk Superior & LK MI. Wouldn’t trade it,…was an excellent company in the beginning.

2 Likes

Greenland Double - skin on frame by Seavivor.
I have one for sale.

Just bought this Wilderness Systems Tempest 180Pro for $600 with CF paddles and skirts…they just don’t

make boats like this anymore. Good news for us is there is a plentiful supple of lightly used boats out there (and cheaper in Texas!)

3 Likes