Old sea kayak models (out of production)

That was directed to svsilverfin…$600 for all he got

…,same hull as the Fuego without forward bulkhead or storage. No skeg or rudder. I bought it to use for practicing “Online Sea Kayaking” course sessions. A large inflatable float bag keeps enough freeboard, when swamped while still seated in it, for bailing (in calmer conditions).

It is a delightful watercraft. Perfect for learning. Also was able to gently surf the wake left by trawlers on the Intracoastal waterway.

A keeper for sure.

1 Like

2004 Carbon Fiber Necky Tahsis with the Seal-Line rudder (Canadian Built). I ordered it new. It’s the pinnacle of the Necky line and I’ll be paddling it until I keel over. It spends most of it’s time on two of the Great Lakes. A fine example of a North American expedition kayak that is very capable in the surf. Multiple chines and enough rocker to give some maneuverability without affecting tracking. 18 ft 2.5 inch and 21.75 inch beam and 49 pounds in carbon fiber. Fits like a glove. Oh and it’s very fast!

4 Likes

Haven’t seen a Tahsis in soo long. Yes, paddled one and very fast hull, really interesting boat. Was not what l was looking for but probably the nicest design l tried at that symposium.

1 Like

It’s a fantastic kayak. At the moment it’s my only kayak so I’ve been shopping for a smaller hybrid rec/tour kayak and a mid size sea kayak for playing in the surf. I’ll never part with the Necky because it looks and paddles like a dream and checks many boxes for me. I also notice that everyone who sells their Tahsis says they regret it.

1 Like

Another classic

3 Likes

CD Extreme

2 Likes

I had a CD Extreme for a couple weeks while waiting for my Tahsis to be delivered. Quick yak. Hates to turn. Very tender stability. Beautiful especially in purple. One of those yaks that age improves like a fine wine. Kevlar to boot. :+1:

2 Likes

Turnings not bad with an edge. Seat time takes tippy ness out of it. I have 3 plus an CD Expedition which is bit faster but more tippy.

Expedition Rounder bottom than an Éxtreme.

2 Likes

This thread will put kayak lust in any paddler’s heart.

2 Likes

Another one no longer made

3 Likes

And the discontinued little sister to the Gulfstream, the Slipstream:

2 Likes

Arctic Hawk

2 Likes

Tiderace Xtreme

1 Like

I am loving my Impex Currituck, the “MV” equivalent of the Assateague!

Sort of still in production, though not in the last couple of years. The Impex hull designs were purchased by abitibi & co, and they haven’t made any through the pandemic according to a local dealer.

1 Like

@willowleaf , you gave me great advice about my other kayak, and so I have to ask about this one! What do you like to use it for? I’m wondering if it’s a decent surfer?

I don’t have a lot of experience with surf since I live inland and mostly paddle rivers and large lakes. But I have found the Easky LV to be a solid hull in waves. I have had it out in some pretty rough conditions in the Great Lakes and I do actually seek the big diagonal bow waves that are generated by the barges and other large commercial vessels with which I share the big local rivers (all feeders to the Mississippi drainage). because it is fun to surf them with the Easky.

I’ve also read a number of reviews from folks who use the Easky in coastal waters in the US and the UK and all report that it is a reliable and nimble kayak for open water. Mine doesn’t have a skeg or rudder (though it has all the moldings and cable channels if I wanted to add a rudder) but I have never felt the boat needed anything to improve tracking. It’s just an all around nice kayak with a perfect design and volume for my size that both tracks and turns well. Friends I have loaned it to also have really enjoyed the performance.

It’s a shame that P & H decided to stop distributing it in North America and replaced it with the shorter and heavier Islay, which is a different hull. But it seems Americans particularly preferred the “more stable” feeling of the wider (and clunkier) Wilderness Systems Tsunami line, which greatly outsold the Easkys at my local outfitter. Having borrowed or rented Tsunami 140’s several time I would say by comparison the Tsunami is a family sedan and the Easky is a sports car. Of course a kayak that is 20% wider, 7% shorter and 15% heavier (Tsu 140 compared to Easky LV) is bound to be more sluggish.

I may have more to report on the performance in surf in about a month since I plan to take the boat to kayak training camp on Lake Michigan this month. Lake M can produce some pretty good surf on windy days.

1 Like

Great info, thank you!! I’ll be interested to hear about your experience on Lake Michigan! I’m also inland near Lake Ontario, so my surf wouldn’t be crazy ocean surf either

Nope, you will get crazy Great Lakes Surf - short period and can be steep.

https://magicseaweed.com/Lake-Ontario-Surfing/303/

2 Likes

Fair point! I was thinking about how crazy Lakes Eire and Superior can get …but you’re right, so can Lake Ontario!