Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

I have paddled Falls Lake a few times in the past as my sister and a daughter of mine lives in the area. Welcome to the site.

The Huron River last week in Milford, MI

7 Likes

Full moon over the SC coast.

3 Likes

This is dangerous because culvert transitions can take you to alternate universes where evil creatures lurk. However, most often (not always!) you’ll still end up where you hoped.

1 Like

Found along the Huron River Water Trail during my 5 day paddle of it this summer. As my food level went down, containers of these filled up the space.

6 Likes

That’s a lot of potential death for the local wildlife! Thanks for retrieving them.

2 Likes

Somebody from home sent me this from near our house so I am getting homesick
I think she took it last January

4 Likes

1. Louie Bay, Nuchatlitz, West Coast Vancouver Island

Lila

9 Likes

Blue Cypress Lake, FL. If you happen to be in Central FL I encourage you to check out this hidden gem. Expect to see some choppy waters on the open lake. Or (if you are like me) you can paddle closer to shore among magnificent cypresses.

5 Likes

Pigs can be beautiful.

2 Likes

When roasted.

2 Likes

Bacon

Blue Cypress…in March the osprey are nesting. There is one maybe two nests per tree. One bird will leave the nest swaking trying to draw you away. The other will stay on the nest. Blue Cypress is recognized headwater of the St Johns river. Last year the canal to the first control structure was overgrown with weeds. Some years are more open. Be careful portaging over the airboat ramp at the north control dam. There were bees nesting in the ramp logs.

1 Like

I feel a lot of waterways around me are getting more and more overgrown by weeds. Do you feel the same? Even in short time I am kayaking in FL I see more ways are getting impassable. I heard people could paddle all along Snake river between St. Johns and Dead river, it is overgrown now. I myself used to paddle from St. Johns to Dead river by Smith canal couple of years ago and it is also overgrown now. I even tried to find out if something can be done about it or find a group who clears waterways like a group who keeps hiking trails open and I did not find anything at all. I was willing to help though I don’t know how :slight_smile:

FWC was spraying , but the enviro movement is protesting. Manatees are too picky and don’t eat some aggressive plants. Flood waters are moving some out. We had a 50 x 50ft floating patch get hung up on our dock. Had to cut up so tide could float it back into cove.

Jocassee today. Sometimes motors are handy.

1 Like

Going strong for 125 years now

11 Likes

Photo from out trip to Georgian Bay this summer, Looking West from Franklin Island.

6 Likes

Nice! I was thinking my next trip would be out of Snug Harbor to Franklin, the Minks and the McCoys. How crowded was it? Any recommendations? Trip report? Bayfield Inlet trip

Thanks for asking. It was our first time kayaking there, and I really appreciated reading your trip reports as I planned this excursion!! We took the lazy way, and stayed at a cabin (Sand Bay Resort) and simply took day trips around various parts of Franklin Island and surroundings. We only got as far as Deadhead Bay on the West side of Franklin, and to Thistle Island on the East Side.

We did drive to Snug Harbor a couple times, to eat at Gilly’s Restaurant. They do an excellent job with fish and poutine, so if you do that, give them a try.

I was surprised there were not more power boats cruising around, maybe a couple per hour? We mostly had the places we went to ourselves, as we like to explore and poke around. There were a few kayakers we would occasionally pass, and a few that we watched launching and ending their trips while we ate at Gilly’s, in Snug Harbor.

Our son came up and stayed with us for a few days, and I rented a kayak and gear for him at White Squall Outfitters (and store in Parry Sound), if you need gear or rentals, they were easy to work with and provided a pump, two paddles, spray skirt, PFD, and even a board (2x4 about 20 inches long) to help with dragging your boat onto the rocks. I would work with them again.

One tip they gave me was that they sometimes carried a brush to clear away the algae on the underwater rocks. I found a suitable brush at Canadian Tire, and carried it on my deck. It worked well for times when we needed to haul up on rocks:

It was a very nice trip, I would do it again, though I will look for other options to stay if we do it as a series of day trips again. While Sand Bay Resort has a great sandy beach for launching and landing, the rest of the resort was a bit problematic for us. There are many islands around Franklin that are free of houses, but also many with houses. The mainland around Franklin is pretty well filled with houses. We were always able to find reasonable places to stop and have lunch, and could have camped at a number of locations on Franklin.

Going out to the Minks & McCoys would be fun and I would love to do that, but my wife is not ready for that yet.

2 Likes