Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Brady’s lake, PA

1 Like

Kimbo, Looks like that could be a VERY quick paddle if your storms move as fast as ours.

I beat it just! I was hoping to run before the wind but could only get the chance on the last leg, zoom zoom

1 Like

Brady’s Lake on a very dramatic day

Lake Umbagog trip 2012, on the Rapid River heading to Umbagog.

5 Likes

Approaching Comb Ridge on the San Juan River in Utah between Bluff and Mexican Hat. October 2010

3 Likes

Silver Light on Kwakshua Channel
51 39’11.39"N 128 02’03.25"W

One of my favorite things about paddling the BC coastline is the way light is accentuated, diffused, bent, filtered and muted to create impossible colors and a million shades of grey. It’s true that the precipitation that created the world’s largest temperate rainforest can provide greyness in seemingly endless quantities but in smaller doses it interacts with light and makes magic. Paddling in fog or overcast you may experience a visual transformation of dark monotones changing to silvers that suddenly erupt into violent explosions of color. Longer angles of sunlight passing through moisture suspended in the air bathes us in unworldly colors that have no names.

5 Likes

Really nice image, 3meterswell! Reminds me of Michael Kenna’s black and white waterside images.

1 Like

Still coming to term with taking photos with wet hands and a camera on a tether. Hope to work out a system soon, as there’s lots of photo opportunities here in Santa Barbara.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. That photo is one of my favorites and it is a color image. Magic light that morning.

This was from a camping trip near St. Petersburg FL

Camping on Shell Key

2 Likes

Sunday afternoon on a local pond. Used to be a gravel mine in the local esker. Now a mile long pond with a launch site.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link to your website. Writing up trip reports is a lot of work and I appreciate the time that you have put into your’s. Lots of stuff to read on your site. Again, thanks for the link!

The Ghost of Grief Bay
Calvert Island, BC
51 25’30"N 127 54’45"W

5 Likes

View of Mt. Rainier from Dalco Passage on a cloudy day.

4 Likes

Very nice!

NotthePainter, I keep revisiting this thread and have to say, This was an absolutely brilliant idea for a thread. Thank you!
So many wonderful photos… and an absolutely great reminder of all the stunningly beautiful places that paddling has taken all of us to. If our canoes and kayaks are the “keys to the kingdom”, and I think that’s a fine way to think of it, what a kingdom we have all had the great good fortune to have traveled through!

This is an old quote, but one I haven’t seen on the board for many years. After again looking over these photos it strikes me as perhaps worth revisiting - not everyone is familiar with it, though I think maybe we all should be if we aren’t already…

“The movement of a canoe is like a reed in the wind. Silence is part of it, and the sounds of lapping water, bird songs, and wind in the trees. It is part of the medium through which it floats, the sky, the water, the shores…There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace. The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten. It is an antidote to insecurity, the open door to waterways of ages past and a way of life with profound and abiding satisfactions. When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes have ever known.” -Sigurd Olson, The Singing Wilderness, 1956

Thanks again for the reminder.

2 Likes

Tonight in the backyard

2 Likes

This morning on 20 Mile River, Alaska

5 Likes