2 Likes

Passage Canal near Whittier Alaska

5 Likes

Heiltsuk Territorial Waters
Joassa Channel, BC

6 Likes

Making the most of the remaining winter

4 Likes

Some Pearl River views on the Louisiana/Mississippi border as cypress and flowers emerge (just south of the Stennis Space Facility)

Cypress knees

Wild Louisiana iris

3 Likes

My main project this weekend was getting two refresher coats of varnish on the sailboat but I did get out for a paddle today in the Stratos - first time I have been out in the little kayak in a very long time! It lives at the marina - you can see it on its rack in the pic with the sailboat.

4 Likes

Varnish season is starting

3 Likes

Tasty!

1 Like

@darkstar what’s your varnish of choice? I use Epifanes gloss on the sailboat.

1 Like

I have used Interlux Schooner Marine Varnish on my wooden kayak and sailboats in the past. However, I have fallen in love with TotalBoat Halcyon Marine Varnish which is a water based exterior varnish which is hard enough to use on floors. Not meant to be continually submerged, but just fine for getting wet often. I can put on 5 coats in a day without the need to sand between coats, and the cleanup is a breeze. I guess I’m getting lazy , but it is sooo easy. I have recently used it on my companionway hatch, tillers on two of my sailboats, as well as the wood seats on my MRC Explore 16. The yoke will be next. I never thought I would find varnishing a pleasure. Perhaps not a pleasure, but it sure makes me smile when I think about it. I don’t think it has quite as high a gloss but I like it just fine.

1 Like

I like the epifanes gloss as well. The no sand between coats is the winner plus it goes on well, has great color/uv protection and is very strong but flexible. Plus, despite the recommendations not to, it thins well as needed

The seat frame and yoke in that picture are well over 100 years old

I’ve also used Pettit captains successfully in the past, and used to use the old red can Man O War but they stopped making it for a while and came back with a new formula that I didn’t like.
I will say all totalboat stuff I’ve tried has been great but haven’t tried their varnish yet

1 Like

A friendly reminder that the topic of this thread is pretty pictures. Maybe move your varnish comments to a new thread? Thanks.

2 Likes

1 Like

Varnish is allowed to be in the picture still, right?

4 Likes

Silver Springs Fl

2 Likes

It’s a pretty picture, so of course. :slightly_smiling_face:

Last day of a 73 mile 5 day paddle in the ADK

8 Likes

Nice pic…What was your route?

Started at the far side of Blue MT lake and went up and around the St Regis canoe area, this route plus a little more up north Blue Mtn Lake to Tupper Lake or St. Regis Canoe Area | Adirondack Canoe and Kayak Rentals with Guide Services

1 Like