Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Two Schools of Thought

Central Puget Sound

47 49’50”N 122 30’19”W

2 Likes

Old Faithful and The Flirt.

1 Like

Took the RVers kayaking this weekend. The Ocklawaha River between Gores landing and Eureka was good weather and paddling. Water was lower than it has been in a while. More of summer levels. Fresh deadfall was often projecting out in the river but we were able to round and clear the obstructions. Some had other river dwellers on the trees.

Zoom to center of the tree…

The lillys were not blooming yet on the Ock…but at Lake Sampson they were in full bloom…

The “blind misquitos” were in full swarm…note they are midges…(flys that don’t bite) They look like skeeters but don’t feed in their adult stage of life. Reproduce and die. They have no mouth. At night the air was full of them flying around hitting you in the face, arms, etc. YOu could hear a fly “buzzing” sound there was so many.

2 Likes

1 Like

Water still at 40 Fahrenheit, but a calm paddle.

WAZZUP

3 Likes

You didn’t bring me!!
Whittier Alaska

4 Likes

Nice. I’ve only done the Rays to Gore section. When we were there in Jan I managed to catch these,

2 Likes

Pretty much the same both place. Except none are as “civilized” as Rays Wayside…or as crowded.

Palmer Slough

1 Like

Almost Clinton time again!!

I’d like to introduce you to a Tupelo tree. Famous source for bees making Tupelo Honey…

These trees are along the Suwannee River up stream from Big Shoals.

The seeds take root along the shore of the river. Trees are often in a line. Later floods cause land to form behind the trees, and water on either side creating an island.

4 Likes

Islet 48 in the Bardswell Group, BC
52 06’05"N 128 23’20"W

8 Likes

Wait! You have Monkeys in Florida?

Thanks to the old Jonny Weissmuller Tarzan shows. Between that and the Sliver Springs jungle cruise there are monkeys there . . . too hard to put them back in the box. :joy:

Just one of the many invasive species that make that place home, New Yorkers are another. :wink:

3 Likes

As I recall, the monkeys escaped from a lab and found they enjoyed Florida. Lots of them on the Silver.

The current info on that is that the guy who started the “Jungle Cruise”, Colonel Tooey, let them go on an island there in the 30’s and didn’t know that they can swim.

1 Like

According to the State Park…A developer at Silver Springs put some monkeys on an island in the Silver River (spring out flow river) . He failed in his research on the monkeys. The kind he was able to get were the lab kind…and they swim. Now monkeys are all over that forest in groups…with monkeys it might be “troops”. They were before, or at least seperate from the Tarzan movies. FWC goes in and thins them out when population gets too large. Consequently they are biologically a lot like humans and carry similar sicknesses. So best to keep clear of them. Besides they get fussy if you don’t feed them and they bite, scratch, etc.

Ive been paddling up & down many of Maryland’s waterways for years now. Last week while spooking along the Rhode River shoreline I was able to sneak up on a very large snapping turtle. Very prehistoric looking monster.

7 Likes