Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Weather was nice here in NC also. Air and water temps in the upper 50s.

Mountain Island Lake, Charlotte NC 12/8/2022

1 Like

Raosborne, what are the white bouys marking?

On the lakes in SC they mark shallow water.

Agree. I usually intentionally go out on a foggy day or two every Dec/Jan when it rolls in thick for an open water Navigation training paddle. Yesterday was not planned…which is how folks can get disoriented/in trouble if not accustomed to paddling in fog.

1 Like

No greenery or sun around here in SE Michigan, but plenty of hunter orange and blinds in the woods. Huron River 2 days ago:

5 Likes

Cloudy and drizzle here. Been this way for several days. We actually had sun for about an hour yesterday .

@Jyak Some of them are labeled No Wake and some are labeled Fish Attractor.

On this trip we noticed one of the No Wake buoys had broken free and was up against the shore. I intentionally went past it at “high” speed and created a wake :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks castoff and raosborne. I was puzzled by the placement, almost a circle. Some seemed too close to the shore and too small to be markers for a course. Also didn’t look like markers warning of a dam or intakes.

I rarely see flat water. That’s serene. One advantage of those still, drizzly days. Same with fog. I’ll have to embrace them rather than overlook them and head for the river.

A photo from this past summer at the beach. Paddled the kayak several days while there. Helped the folks to beach launch their sailboat seen in the background.

5 Likes

Very nice capture.

Paddling in the December fog following a compass heading until we could hear the surf breaking on Bull Island our destination. It was a 2-mile crossing of Bulls Bay to the island on the SC Atlantic coast. I believe String took this photo as I was leading.

9 Likes

Oh baby!!! Caption should read: Wishing You Were Here!

Pretty…cold… and windy.

5 Likes

The good old days. One of my favorite paddles most any time of year.

FL ? :laughing:

Field 10 Jones Beach

Yes, my first time there. Very different conditions than my home waters/harbor. Most of the people swam, rolled and scrambled for practice, to the right of that dock where it was a bit more protected. My comfort level wasn’t there. Will be working on those skills in a pool in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Can get good chop out from the docks. Seen 3-4’ waves breaking at times. In the summer it’s a busy spot for boats. If they see you some may slow then just before they pass you they punch their 30-50+’ boat for maximum wake. Sad part is they think they helped you. Less wake if they just flew by at max speed.

1 Like

making the best out of what we got

5 Likes

The paddle was pleasant. The 200 yards to and from the truck through 3 ft of fresh powder was a slog. Paris got pulled

8 Likes