Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Absolutely stunning Tiderace Xceed S color scheme!

Lake Michigan (near the southern tip) today following 4-5 very cold days. From beach level it looks like snow-covered shore ice but from bluff level you can see it’s some sort of foamy/icy stuff that the waves still roll right through.

4 Likes

A bit too cold to take Paris out paddling so we went for a bike ride. Denali out in all her glory

6 Likes

wawaabishe’o

Brash ice, precursor to pack ice but still paddleable.

1 Like

Tom, do you get some, though perhaps somewhat tonally variated (the Oxford Dictionary tells me I’m using a 1608 archaic/obsolete adjective here - hey, “goes around/comes around,” says I) , interesting glass harmonica musical works, listening to those gentle waves lap through the ice donuts?

Maui a few days ago.
Came back to the midwest icebox…

7 Likes

No, not at this point but I imagine that “brash ice” might make some nice twinkly noises if it freezes more. I don’t think I’ve ever heard interesting ice sounds from The Lake.

Today you couldn’t be sure whether you could see the water or not during a blizzard but the lake was loud with 6+ foot waves breaking further offshore than usual; the waves were easy to see in person but the camera picked up the snowflakes.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Those white things? On the blue bow?

1 Like

They are called “Flatpick’s Invention” after Steve Scheerer. Prior to the North Water Paddle Britches they were the spare paddle holder of choice in the PNW. They are made of PVC waste elbows from the plumbing aisle of your favorite home improvement store. Rock solid and very easy to use. Makes changing and storing paddles a cinch. Always seemed reliable in blown surf landings, windowshades, etc.

2 Likes

Now it isn’t empty.

1 Like

Frost on the beach.

7 Likes

Gorgeous day to paddle to Three Rooker Bar from the Dunedin Causeway

10 Likes

Ducks

5 Likes

My favorite pic so far!

Redtail hawk on the Paw Paw a few days ago.

Winter fog this morning.

St Joseph River today.

7 Likes

Naval War College, Newport RI

3 Likes

You must have had access to the base to get that pic! I did get to launch from there several times as kayak support for the Save the Bay swim, which was always lots of fun. I lived in Jamestown for 11 years.

1 Like

We came here from there. We moved during Covid after my husband did a Masters there.
Newport was very nice and we lived in the historical district. The students have their own little marina there by the officers club and we enjoyed that during that time.

I bet you saw a lot of crazy big boats there! One day I saw the World Cup sailboat zipping around the harbor out by the bridge. The one that has the big hydrofoils?

1 Like