Type III PFD Recommendations

That is something I needed to know. I was leaning strongly in that direction but this helps confirm unit. I am at the bottom of the M/L chart so I was going to get the S/M. From what you said, there is no way I would fit well in the M/L since, as I said(redundant), I do not want a bulky fit in the least. But the problem is, i went out looking for one and ain’t nobody got any. I found a few and they wanted stupid prices for them, up to $200. Then I found another one at Alpacka at MSRP and was in the process of ordering it and they wanted $25 shipping. Now Kittery says they can get me one at MSRP with 20% off as a first time customer but they can’t tell me when yet. It could be at best 6 weeks or up to December or worst case all the way to summer in unusual circumstances. So I am looking to get a cheap Type III from Walmart so I can paddle a Sanctuary and wait on the V8 from Kittery. From what everyone has said it would be worth the wait, especially in open water. Here is a picture of the one I am going to try on at Walmart today or I may go into the mid twenty dollar range if I do not like it. I will strictly be using in inland, protected waters. Don’t shoot it down too bad.

My thoughts exactly. The Coast Guard will be calling me to test this baby. Don’t be surprised if you start seeing them on their inflatable bumper boats and their high speed chase boats soon. If I do use it my Kajak I will have to cut the seat out or at least the seat back. A Sawzall should do the trick. But I will be safe.

I am always willing to teach.

So far nobody has addressed the fact that the OP’s new boat (if it is, indeed, a Hurricane Santee 120 Sport) has no bow bulkhead or flotation and has a 55” long open cockpit. I’ll let braver souls take on those safety issues if they choose.

Santee 116. Not the Sport. Conventional Cockpit and indeed sealed compartments in bow and stern with a screw off hatch in the stern for at least some dry storage. You were right, it is not an “Poke Boat.” It is the ULTIMATE POKE BOAT. Address that.

Wolf!

You guys just like to argue. Here’s my granddaughter in an Appalachian made by Phoenix Poke Boat in the '70’s. That makes it a poke boat, right?

It’s been on a few multi-week expeditions.

What is your definition of a Poke Boat? Mine is not in a name. It is poking around Harbors, Marinas, Bajous, Lagoons, Inland Lakes, Marshes, Park Waterways, even Drainage Canals

Unless you are writing in German, common nouns are not capitalized, only proper names. Poke Boat (capitalized) is a brand name. (Phoenix advertised them for years in the margin ads in The New Yorker and Popular Mechanics.)

For example: calling a Land Rover a jeep is a common genericization (when a registered brand name becomes a popularly accepted noun). Calling it a Jeep would not be correct. Nor would it be a metaphor.

Who’s on first?

2 Likes

In a technical, grammatical sense, common nouns are not capitalized In regular use. But since we are enthralled in a free society that champions free speech and more importantly expression, if you use the capitalization to draw attention to each particular category described to illustrate how many and how varied the categories of use are, as a form of expression it is not only allowed it is encouraged as it forwards communication.

This may very well have originated with the German Language which in and of itself is a beautiful form of expression as you well know.

There are many experienced and sophisticated paddlers that refer to Poke Boats with no reference whatsoever to the once brand name but to their use, poking around in a light simple craft. It is capitalized in this case, not because of the brand name, but again for emphasis as a means of expression. (See first paragraph or have someone read it to you) Strict rules are for those who have no or are afraid to exercise creativity.

Who is on First? I am afraid not you. You have not gotten to first base yet.

I’ve never seen this term being used as a style. {doesn’t make it true or not true, also suggests that I’m neither experienced or sophisticated}

Between grammar police and other petty snips this place is starting to resemble facebook.

2 Likes

Then you are not from where I paddle, not paddled where we paddle and do not know the vernacular of these paddlers.

The seed does not fall far from the @roym

I highly recommend using the ignore function. It doesn’t block, but it hides all of a user’s posts

5 Likes

I didn’t know that was a thing! I will check that one out.

1 Like

@mike93lx, @dcowell65…Goodbye

@dcowell65 Click on a username, then the “normal” button. You can set ignore settings there.

5 Likes

Thanks! Found it, used it. To bad the world doesn’t come with an ignore button! lol

5 Likes

Best tip I’ve had in a while: pest repellent. Done and done.

4 Likes

@willowleaf…goodbye