What's Your 'If I Won the Lottery' Boat?

not really

– Last Updated: Aug-01-12 11:17 PM EST –

"How many ppl out there are working for $10-12/hr, or perhaps less? How many can't afford a new car, and are hoping and praying that their old hunk of junk will hold together another couple of years?"

They're not here browsing the internet and dreaming about the perfect boat.

They would be out there working 60 hrs/weeks to get a few extra $10-12 to save up to get that 1st boat, which would be a "dream boat"!

BTW, it doesn't take 4 grands, 2 maybe. I bought mine used, $1600, fiberglass.

I'm not poor any more. But when I was a student, that's how I save up to get my first nice bike, by working lots of hours at $5/hr! It's pretty easy to figure out how many hours it takes...

huh?
Attention? More like curiosity. Which changed to boredom once everyone started talking yachts.

Ask a mod to move it to another forum if you feel like, don’t care either way.

Btw, do you generally project motivations onto other posters as a matter of course? Seems like odd behavior to me, but okay.

personally
the disdain towards yacht purchase cracked me up. Are we really that poor we’d need to win lotto to buy a canoe or a paddle?

Yes, canoes would go on the deck of my Bruckmann. Figuring an outrigger job for those ocean swells.

Excellent choice
Some things are just classics and eventually everyone comes back to that.

I wasn’t asking about H&B
It’s already assumed that ppl would buy a LOT more things than just kayaks and canoes if they lucked out like that.

But given that this is Paddling.net, and not yacht.net, private_jet.net, mansion.net, or H&B.net, it was assumed that ppl would be more focused on paddle-powered watercraft.

Crazy, I know. ;]

But as I no longer care, pls everybody, tell us what model of Bentley you’d purchase. And what kind of wood inlay it’d have.

dream trips
I would buy several of the best boats out there, dock them at my several vacation homes located in several areas. I would paddle the Inter Coastal from top to bottom, along with several of Americas rivers.

Absolutely no question
I would have a built-to-order Novus Composite Expedition built and I would want it to have a white hull and white deck and I would want it in the Lt. layup. Oh wait–I’ve already done that.

You won the lottery and bought a kayak?

Well i have to try them all
Since I haven’t by far tried all the different kayaks out there that would be my first thing to do. Right now iam very happy with my NDK Greenlander Pro. Maybe make it out of carbon fiber to have it lighter weight. Then pick up a slightly shorter plastic boat for river running so I can bounce of an occasional rock or two with no worries.

Then like a few others have said go on some trips were there is nice clear water. I sure wouldn’t want to buy a bunch of new kayaks. Eventually you would start only using the one or two you like best and the others would just be taking up wasted space. But since I just checked my powerball numbers and didn’t win its back to the real world.

You can paddle a sailboat!
Take it from me, though, it’s not something one does for fun.

sounds like paradise

The joy factor . . .

– Last Updated: Aug-02-12 3:42 PM EST –

. . . associated with the kayaks I already own is sky high, but if I found myself in a situation in which money was not an issue, and if -- in the process -- I could support a great young "local" company that provides jobs in this region, I would upgrade to a Walrus Jaeger, Expedition layup, with options including deck compass, carbon light seat and Bluewater Kayak Works pump.

really
"They’re not here browsing the internet and dreaming about the perfect boat."

Actually, back when I was poor, I did exactly that for awhile. I was working full-time (and more), but not for a lot of money.

I’m not poor anymore, but I remember those days, and it’s not quite as easy as you think to ‘just save up a few grand’.

Bad job market, student loans, paying off your car, and living in a high-cost-of-living area are all factors.

Could’ve moved, but my job at the time only existed in a few areas, all of which were high-COL cities more or less.

ahhh…can immediately think of three…
Somekind of cabin cruiser to park on Moosehead.

Bell Northwoods = a tandem that I can lift easily.

Probably a Hemlock Peregrine or a Bell MerlinII…

Several…
Go out to Cape Falcon kayaks in Oregon and make a custom SOF… or 2!

Hire Eric Schade to work with me to make a custom fit strip built West Greenland style boat with ridiculously ornate inlays.

Tahe Marine Greenland

Tahe Marine Greenland T in a different color! Cause I can!!

God… it would be GREAT to be rich!

Excuse me… I got to go buy a few lotto tickets!

I’d get something like Tophers
Clipper canoe, recruit some of my poling buds

http://www.clippercanoes.com/langley.php

and mount it with a 50 cal. so I could shoot all the “dream” kayaks I saw and turn them into fish and coral beds. I’d have the best lawyers money could buy so I’d get no jail time, and I’d carry it on the deck of this.

http://www.bruckmannyachts.com/bruckmann50.htm

as I previously mentioned.

Different stroke for different folks
"but I remember those days, and it’s not quite as easy as you think to ‘just save up a few grand’."

I didn’t “think”. I DID exactly that: saved a couple grand for a nice touring bike, by working all kind of odd jobs at night and weekends!

I wouldn’t say it’s “easy”. But getting a university degree wasn’t exactly easy either…

I guess we’re different.

I’d just need 3
A flat water, a river tripper, and a whitewater canoe. But I’d want to commission someone to make them my size. Of course I’d be paddling so much I’d loose weight and need three more.

indeed
"I guess we’re different."

Yup. For one thing, I live on the SFBA Peninsula, where a 2-bdrm t-house can easily go for $2500/month.

For another, I actually understand that everyone’s circumstances are different.

I would like this one, thank you!
http://www.easternyachts.com/bounty/index.htm