Wildlife photo thread

As long as the moment doesn’t end in capsize.

Castoff and photoyaker, you guys make it sound easy, and it isn’t. I’ve taken once in a lifetime shots, but some photographers take lots of once in a lifetime shots. I don’t recall the origin of each shot posted on the forum, probably should, but it’s more important to just appreciate the whole body of work. Without expressing a word, the wildlife thread and pretty pictures could be the base of that other thread about why we kayak.

I realize there are trick; some know more tricks than others, and that’s what makes the magic. You could also show the tricks of ridding big waves, but I’m happy just watching the videos, enjoying the photos and experience the many things I can’t do. The sharing is what really makes the forum great. I’m just satisfied enjoying the tranquil waters, as I zip around on the Bay, then get to see all the things I missed from my recliner. Definitely one of the greatest threads on the forum due to all the members who take the time to share.

People often say that, but I’m never more “in the moment” than when I pause to take a longer look through the view finder.

4 Likes

Love your photos sissy! And yes, being in the moment is predicated on awareness and focus. Both lend themselves to capturing that moment if that is what pleases you.

As a close friend now departed use to say “What ever blows your skirt up”. Paddling and photography are two things that keep my skirt flapping in the breeze.

1 Like

Sissy103, I believe you.

1 Like

I enjoy the upper Chesapeake, but the area around Jamestown has that atmosphere with the cypress trees. I’ll have to put my camera in a Tupperware container next time I’m down there. You guys are a bad influence. Its getting more expensive by the post.

That’s a photo I never want to see.

Photoyaker, just as expressed by sissy103, it makes sense that the consentration helps you focus and live in the moment. That take the mind of an artist. I was more of a mechanic. I practiced photography in the 70s with 35 mm SLRs, Mamiya C220s and and a Singer Graflex 4x5. I got out of it after everything went digital. At least it helped me appreciate the technocal aspects as well as the artistry. To much invested to reinvent the wheel. Just glad that many continue to carry on and share.

2 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes

We were fortunate to see what the rangers told us was the only croc spotted that season (January 2012) around Flamingo in the Everglades. Smallish male (5 or 6’) who had staked out part of the EcoPond in the park, surrounded by flamingos and spoonbills. He was sleepily basking in the sun with an egret perched on his back when we saw him.

Maybe you Floridians can help me with this one. On a little lake near Carabelle.
I have no idea why an alligator would be wearing a mooring buoy. He was dragging it Thought at first at a distance it was a hitchhiking egret. Taken from a PBW Rapidfire.

Looks like an old crab trap buoy. Usually just a single line from trap to buoy. Animals have a way of getting tangled. Hope he gets free.

4 Likes

Some more from that same location in southern Arizona.

Turkey vultures

White-faced Ibis

Killdeer

3 Likes

Captain Quint with cataract squint
ID’d quite poor but shot super.
“He can try to scute, once more I’ll shoot.
Tie me 'nother barrel now Hooper!”

Red shouldered hawk.

6 Likes

A juvenile ibis. The adults are white.

In the SE that’s true. Do a quick search for White Faced, or even the Glossy Ibis.

They got “palimino” during the change. Saw some on the Chasswahic??? (Sp) this weekend