Wildlife photo thread

Perregrines have the black and white mask and eat ducks.
This is probably a prairie falcon.

Thanks for the assist with the ID, I was not certain. Both are observed in the canyon, according to eBird. Other shots show that it had caught a small bird. It would be interesting to see a peregrine v. duck interaction at 200+ mph, but they probably don’t have to hit top speed to catch a duck.

2 Likes

BWCAW June 2017. I thought it was a molt skin, but it was a living yellow arachnid.

Great Photos in this string.

3 Likes

Cougar on Indian Arm near Belcarra Park in Port Moody BC (20 min from Vancouver)

7 Likes

Orca in Johnstone Strait, BC across from Telegraph Cove.

California sea cucumber and ochre sea star, Desolation Sound, BC

Lion’s mane jelly in Indian Arm, North Vancouver, BC

3 Likes

Floated past these little ones on the Little Red River

1 Like

Green Heron. I had not seen one before.

3 Likes

So this pic was not taken from my kayak. I was hiking up Sugar Loaf Mtn in the middle of Fairfield Bay in AR. BUT we had to paddle out to the middle of the Bay to get to the Mtn😁. Since I started paddling 3 years ago I’ve seen more bald eagles than I had seen in the previously 35 years. Always excited to see them.

1 Like

6 Likes

Is that an octopus eating a squid?

just the squid

maybe a Humboldt

Lake Pleasant, AZ.
Technically feral, but they were brought by Spanish explorers so its been like 400 years

3 Likes

The Pelican Air Force uncharacteristically let me get close enough for photos yesterday on Cumbest & Crooked Bayou’s near Pascagoula.

Paddling the lower Colorado River in February, we were greeted every night by a chorus of wild donkeys, the coyote choir, and sometimes Great Horned Owls. I like wild donkeys. I see them around Death Valley and on the highway to Las Vegas. I can see wild horses from my kitchen window in northern Nevada.

You reminded me of the resident feral donkeys that wander the streets of Oatman, AZ, along Route 66. And then there is sometimes a domesticated jackass crossing that highway (my ex in a fortuitous conjunction near the AZ-CA border ten years ago this week.)

ass_crossing

4 Likes

Met this fella (Vancouver Island Coastal Wolf) on Paradise Beach on South Brooks Peninsula. He showed up in our camp twice one day. He was not aggressive at all, in fact he was too comfortable with people. We fired off a bear banger which scared him off. In this area a wolf who is comfortable with humans is soon a dead wolf.

8 Likes